hi team a friend has win xppro and when he shuts down .

a notice comes saying it is safe to shut your compt down.

i have win xppro and mine shuts off automatically .

can some one explain the difference.and how to fix it.

thanks

marty

how old is his computer and what bios is he running? i'll have to google for more info but i'd almost be willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with his computer and that it's just and option in his bios or that his computer is old and is before auto power off.

:) be right back :)

hi thanks ive been to the bios. but didnt know what to look for.

i thought it may be the hibernation link but i experimented with mine and that isn the trouble.

i was going to microsoft support but i may wait for you to post back.

im not sure what age the compt is .and at this stage i cant contact him until tomorrow.

i also went to the power options.

but when he contacted me he had all his power options on never shut down.

i would like to help him as he is in a wheel chair.

and isnt very mobile.

marty

try and see what computer he has and if he can see the production date on the back. maybe i read it wrong. is the computer shuting down when it's not supposed to or is there just a message comeing up after he selects shutdown from windows?

need sleep now ........... zzzzzzzzz hug! ......... zzzzzz i'll be back later tomorrow, i mean today.

he goes through the normal shut down process.and when it gets to the shut down

option this notice comes up it is safe to ect ect ect.

incidently he has just reinstalled xppro

thanks for your time

marty

how old is his computer and what bios is he running? i'll have to google for more info but i'd almost be willing to bet that there is nothing wrong with his computer and that it's just and option in his bios or that his computer is old and is before auto power off.

Agreed. Most likely his machine either doesn't support APM or ACPI or power management is disabled in XP. AFAIK it can be enabled in XP manually by fiddling in the device manager (the 'Computer' driver or something) but if I'd be hesitant to force it.

Given the general quality of hardware/firmware support for power management in PCs I'm more surprised when the operating system can power down a system than when it can't. I haven't owned a machine yet that didn't have some kind of PM breakage.

Edited by jcl

Let you friend know that it is a new feature from M$. So we can remember the days when the OS shutdown then the user had to power down the machine. Add what ever you want to make it sound better,for I am spouting B$ 'till we can get more info to you.

M

I don't have Xp, (Win 2000), but mine has occasionally, though rarely, run a similar notification. I think it senses when I have forgotten to turn some page off that got minimalized to the tray. So it "saves" it, then tells me it is ok to shut down.

So I am guessing he has something open, or running that needs extra time to safely shut down. But why it tells me after the fact I have no idea! Would be more helpful to just remind me something was still open that I need to close. :rolleyes:

By the way I am on dialup, so any open window has to go to "work offline" after I shut off the internet connection. If he is also on dialup, then that may also apply to him. And that takes an extra bit of time on shut down and may trigger the notice.

God bless everyone.

Hi Marty,

Does he have to press the power button after the message, or does it automatically shut down immediately after the message? My 5 year old Gateway with Windows 98 displays that message on shutdown for about a second, right before it shuts itself off (orange letters on black background) and has since day one----is XPpro installed "over" 98? Maybe that message is a "leftover" from its 98 days?? Liz

as in xppro when you get to turn off compt then shut down.

when he press the shut down button it hangs then.

the notice comes up it is safe ----

at first ithoughti was the stand by button activated .

because on a desk top some times that notice wll come up but when i walked him through it the hibernation button wasent activated.

you realise this was done over the phone.so him not being compt savvy .

he may have done wrong things

tho made him go through it 2-3 times.

i had a feeling it may have to be the bios.

because his mother board dosent support APM .

the power options are hard to configure .

he lives some dstance from me so at the moment to have a look at his compt is out of the Q even the im not sure if i can fix the problem that is why i posted here ..

ther are more capable people here than me

marty

ps :hi novi good to hear from you

lm

Hi Marty have you tried this?.....

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.

3. Click the APM tab.

4. Check to select the Enable Advanced Power Management Support check box, and then click OK.

Hi Marty have you tried this?.....

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.

3. Click the APM tab.

4. Check to select the Enable Advanced Power Management Support check box, and then click OK.

hi il_ that is the first thing i thought of. but he hasent got the APM button .

and it isnt in his bios. so his mother board dosent support it.

he suggested he go to microsoft support .

and see if he can find an answer there.

i will do it for him but ive got a dose of ashma and im a bit short winded.

thanks il_

marty