Hydrogen-powered Two-seater Car Unveiled

Hydrogen-powered two-seater car unveiled

240 miles from a single tank, anyone?

By Alun Taylor

17th June 2009 12:33 GMT

Leccy Tech British boffins have unveiled what they believe is the future of urban personal transport - a prototype two seater micro-car powered by a single hydrogen fuel cell.

Riversimple’s management team’s no stranger to groundbreaking car designs. The firm’s led by Hugo Spowers, for example, who was involved with the Morgan LIFEcar hydrogen vehicle project.

The universities of Oxford and Cranfield have also played roles in the RUC’s development, as has Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies - a Shanghai-based developer and manufacturer of hydrogen fuel cells.

story & Photos ... The register - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/17/riversimple_ruc/

Honda Has been producing and selling the Hydrogen powered FCX Clarity in California for a little while now. It's quite a bit bigger though. Here's a Top Gear review on it:

Unless they enact some sort of nationwide edict to build the necessary infrastructure, hydrogen powered cars aren't going to happen in my lifetime. And ... There's a reason no one has had much success selling "micro" cars here, even though they sell them in OTHER markets. But keep workin' on it, even if they succeed in making "grass-ohol" economically (which uses non-crop biomatter to make biofuels), that looks like a temporary stop-gap measure to me, I bet fuel cells are the future.

I love it! I support ANY alternitives to the gas eaters.

I've been forced into an "early" retirement due to my chronic back pain. (without pay of course). So my truck is collecting dust in the garage. I used to drive 75,000+ miles per year while working. I think I got out just in time, gas prices as they are. I'd probably be bankrupt now anyway if I was still working.

I'd love to get a really energy efficient vehicle.

Grass-ohol! Ha! Wasn't that what early transportation used? (horses) :lol:

It would take less nuke plants to power up the nations electric cars, then to make hydrogen. What we really need is a better battery... Until that happens, Hybrids are the answer.

• 1 month later...
I love it! I support ANY alternitives to the gas eaters.

I've been forced into an "early" retirement due to my chronic back pain. (without pay of course). So my truck is collecting dust in the garage. I used to drive 75,000+ miles per year while working. I think I got out just in time, gas prices as they are. I'd probably be bankrupt now anyway if I was still working.

I'd love to get a really energy efficient vehicle.

Perhaps you can turn in your dust collecting clunker for a good deal in the "Cash for clunkers" program.

Note: Don't pay any attention to what Kim says. I think that she may have gone over the egde; "Cash for Clunkers a U.S. intrusion into computers?" = http://www.komando.com/about/my-log.aspx?id=7079