Windows Host Process (rundll32) Has Stopped Working

Okay, so I've been an unhappy user of Windows Vista for nearly two years now. Aside from having to put up with a disk check every time I boot up my computer (anybody know why this is?), the worst problem is MY COMPUTER HAS NO SOUND! The speakers work fine; that I know. It beeps every time there is an error (which is ALOT).

I have tried to reactivate windows sound service on my computer, but every single time I try it comes up with an error. The infamous Windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working. This has been this way for about four months now and I'm really put up with it. My dad (the administrator of the computer) doesn't give a *(expletive)* about how poorly our computer runs, and whenever I try to fiddle around with it he won't even type in the admin password for stuff.

Well I finally figured the password out, so access to any part of the computer is open to me, but anything that I have to pay for is not. I can't pay to install any of that amazing "just press this" software (such as Regcure) because I don't have paypal or anything.

I have tried that thing where you go to 'msconfig' and manually check and see which program is causing the problem (that process where you have to restart your computer 3 dozen times) and it doesn't have anything to do with any of those programs. It has nothing to do with Nero. That isn't installed on the computer.

I have not read about anyone online who has the same exact situation I have (the sound doesn't work cause of the bug), so I'm really hoping I can find somebody who can help me out here. I seriously need the help, I can't do this by myself. But step-by-step instructions would be appreciated. Thank you.

P.S.- My computer is an HP Pavillion dv9000 (the biggest piece of crap computer I have ever owned)

Edited by pianodude76

Is this by any chance the HP Pavillion dv9000 that comes with 64bit windows and not 32bit?

In msconfig on the startup tab is it listed to launch anything?

Are those things working?

Have you been to HP and gotten the correct drivers for your sound card and reinstalled them? (not the ones from the chipset manufacturer; they have to be the modified ones for the HP blessed firmware).

Is this by any chance the HP Pavillion dv9000 that comes with 64bit windows and not 32bit?

In msconfig on the startup tab is it listed to launch anything?

Are those things working?

Have you been to HP and gotten the correct drivers for your sound card and reinstalled them? (not the ones from the chipset manufacturer; they have to be the modified ones for the HP blessed firmware).