Bb Connection Problem

I have Comcast hi speed and wait 2-3 minutes for my home page call to go through.

Outlook Express times out waiting for a Comcast POP3 reply.

I have been on this service since 03 and have not had problems for quite awhile.

I run XP / IE7 no updates available with McAfee suite + Ad Aware free anniversary edition + Spyware Blaster + MSMVP host file blockers.

I have released and renewed flushed and cleaned and ran scans and this does not change the fact that every tracert times out on first ping.

Comcast sends me canned replys in response to my querys.

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like it could easily be a problem with your security applications. Sometimes they conflict. You can troubleshoot them via Start - Msconfig and try disabling one at a time and seeing if any of them make a difference.

I'm not aware of your level of experience on computers (although I'm thinking your advanced due to your label).

I'd start off by making sure you have no malware by running an updated scan with malwarebytes.

After that I'd disable all security startup apps via msconfig and stopping the services for each correlating security application. Tell me if this changes anything.

open up a command line and see if your pings are steady

ping google.com -t

try rebooting in safemode with networking and try the same thing. See if their are any differences. This should rule out software causes.

My hunch is the problem is with your modem, or more likely outside the modem with comcast.

Yep, it is the problem with McAfee's updater. It has a nasty habit of if it cannot connect to its secure server when you boot not allowing any connections and if it can't connect when you try to shut down refusing to let you turn off your computer.

Best fix is uninstall McAfee and get something with a reliable updater