hey everyone,

i have a dell latitude laptop (120L) running Windows XP (i'm assuming SP2) and suddenly every time i try to boot it (on regular or any of the safe modes) i get a blue screen.

it tells me to disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check my hard drive config and for any updated drivers, and to run chkdsk /f to check for any corruption.

only i cant cos it appears to be frozen!

it also shows an error message : *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82394188, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Any ideas what gone wrong and what i can do to fix it? i dont have a xp installation disk anymore i dont think.

cheers

If you are unable to boot into the OS at all, your best bet is to find that install disk, slap it in, and do a repair install - you won't lose anything this way.

Go through setup normally like you'd be installing fresh, then it will search for previous installs, and when it detects yours, it will give you the option for a repair install.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

First thing to do is when you power on start tapping the F8 key once a second until you get a startup options menu.

Choose safe mode command prompt only as this is the most basic way to access the operating system.

At the flashing C:_> prompt on a black screen which you will boot to type

chkdsk /f /r

(note the space after chkdsk and before /f and again after /f and before /r)

hit enter

it will now run checkdisk and try to fix the partitioning and recover any lost data.

If you cannot boot to command prompt; then the next option is to boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk from there

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

You will need your windows install cd to do this.