Move A Program From Drivec To Drive D

Are you sure it doesn't ask for a destination?

If you really need to you can just cut and paste, but you'll need to change all the shortcuts and everything.

...........CUT AND PASTE.........???? i don't think so....and as discussed on the other board...some programs need to be installed on the same drive as windows...if your looking to free up some space on the c drive..consider moving your "My docs" folder or music and/or picture folders to the d drive..cut/paste a program file is not a good idea..

:blink::unsure::ph34r:

Call me ignorant (i dare ya :P ), but I've never had a problem with cut/pasting a program (not anything like Visual Studio or anything, a simpler program) fro mone drive to the other, as long as all the shortcuts know where it is and, in some rare circumstances, registry keys.

Call me ignorant (i dare ya :P ), but I've never had a problem with cut/pasting a program (not anything like Visual Studio or anything, a simpler program) fro mone drive to the other, as long as all the shortcuts know where it is and, in some rare circumstances, registry keys.

well.i'm not calling anyone ignorant..but i'd like a bit more detail on what programs you have moved in this manner..installing a program entails a lot more than just placing an .exe file on a drive..and every installed program i know of has registry keys..

the warnings about not just deleting a program file from the c:\win\program and using add/remove instead should be reason enough to discourage the cut(delete)/paste approach..

..and my point is..there are simpler and safer ways of freeing up c drive disk space...and if a program does not present an option when it's being installed to install to a drive other than its default..there's probably a reason for it.. :unsure::blink:;)

I understand that "installing a program entails a lot more than just placing an .exe file on a drive", and yes, most (not all) programs have at least one registry value. However, the program tends to call the value, not the other way around. Also, you are only moving the folder, not deleting it, so its not like you are uninstalling it, leaving reg keys/values etc stranded.

Also, jerrys never said anything about wanting to free hdd space.

Programs I've moved as opposed to reinstalling:

Quake I

Quake II

Unreal Tournament

Winamp

Just to name a few.

I understand that "installing a program entails a lot more than just placing an .exe file on a drive", and yes, most (not all) programs have at least one registry value. However, the program tends to call the value, not the other way around.  Also, you are only moving the folder, not deleting it, so its not like you are uninstalling it, leaving reg keys/values etc stranded.

Also, jerrys never said anything about wanting to free hdd space.

Programs I've moved as opposed to reinstalling:

Quake I

Quake II

Unreal Tournament

Winamp

Just to name a few.

you probably didn't see the start of this topic on the other board

:P;)

"Also, you are only moving the folder, not deleting it, so its not like you are uninstalling it, leaving reg keys/values etc stranded."

not sure what you mean here..??