I have a home network. Two desktops running XP SP3 on both that are wired thru a router.

I also have a Laptop that iw running Vista home premium SP1 that connects wireless thru the

same router. I have printers connected to both laptops and I have file and printer sharing

enabled on ALL 3 computers.

I can not connect to either printer with my laptop. If I try to print, I get the message that there

is no printer to print to. If I go to the control panel, I can try to add a printer, and I can "see" the

two printers on the network, but I can't get either to install to my laptop.

Does anybosy have any ideas for me to be able to print from the laptop??

Thanks...........jim

I go to control panel and then to printers. I click on the "add a printer" and choose networked printer.

I then choose the "my printer is not shown here" and refresh the network. Then I double click on my desktop

computer and choose the printer and click on OK and I get a box saying that it can't install the printer and to make

sure that I have the name right and that it is connected to the network.

It IS connected---it IS turned on.

I just don't know what's up.

Vista printer sharing is flakey. Two things I would try. I would first install the printer using the usb port to your vista laptop. Do this to make sure the drivers are installed. After the printer is installed, delete the printer from "printers and faxes", this will still leave the drivers available for vista.

Now when you try and install the network printer, do it a non intuitively way. Instead of choosing installing a network printer, choose, install a local printer, then create a new port, type is "local". Then it will ask you for the name of the port. Enter both the computer name and share name of the printer in this format.

\\computer_name\printer_share_name

It may also help, but I am not sure if it is necessary, you may want to make sure all computers are using the same workgroup name.

I will give all that a try. I will have to wait for a bit, however, because my CPU cooler

decided to quit last night and I have to wait for a replacement

Good thing I have a laptop, too.

Thanks Shanenin, for all your help

jr