Dell Laptop/fresh Installed Xp Wont Run After Restart

Hello everyone, im back to ask BestTechie community to help me out with one huge problem.

My friend begging me to fix his Dell Inspiron 600m laptop to work. Let me tell you story of what happen. my ex-roommate (a idiot when come to fixing PC and OS X) trying to get some GB back that XP been using. It a 38GB HDD. Jeff (ex-roommate of mine) just did something so stupidly, he somewhat access the Windows File and decide to delete those files like and .exe files. yes that right, you heard me, he remove any .exe file he see in Windows folder. he told to my friend, "Any .exe file you see is a VIRUS!" I told them it not a virus, a .exe is just a program. and if Jeff see a file that contain like a few KB, he just remove it because he think they dont worth anything and feel like they taking too much space. The way my friend trying to explain to me, he said Jeff somewhat add Vista Ultimate then remove Xp Home, then remove Vista Ultimate then add Vista Home Basic, then remove Vista Home Basic, then lastly trying to reinstall XP Home, but it failed to work. So that when my friend begging me to help. i told them NEVER let JEff fix the laptop because Jeff almost ruined my other friend XP Toshibia laptop and i have to fix the c**p that Jeff made a mess. So i went ahead and clean install XP, and it working fine, then got to Desktop, everything seem in a working order, so i try to install Dell's driver but for some reason, the Dell's program thought it a MX765 laptop, i forgot what it is, but i try to tell it a 600m but it kept saying ti MX765 laptop. i decided to restart to see if it in working order after restart. while rebooting, it just stop and show a error saying that

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM "

then it tell me to use Recovery Console, i tried to use the recovery console but it just take me to MSDOS command and asking me a log for recovery. im not sure what to do at that point. So i went to try again to clean install XP Home, the same result after isntallion and restart. So i went to Google to check that error, it said there a corrupted registry preventing Window from working.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B307545

I try to read what to do but im a little confused. so i wonder anyone can help me how to fix this laptop?

It Dell Inspiron 600m

38GB HD

512MB RAM

32MB Video memory

i just run DBAN it was going fine until it stopped by a bad sector in the HDD, i knew HDD do have some bad sector, i did to repair bad sector through MS-DOS, but it just frozed while trying to repair, so DBAN just told me to send the log file with all the support request, but i dont have access to Window since it wont let me access. so is there a program that allow me to repair bad sector? or other way?

Hold on a moment, i should use autonuke, i went ahead to use enter option. Autonuke seem working very well, and still wiping. will let you know the updates

Edited by DarkestDream

DBAn stop the process at 86%, so i went to clean install Window XP and it working flawlessly so far, done a couple of restart and it always boot to XP. i check the SMART status, it said it in a normal health. I have a few problem trying to do something in XP.

1. Dell Drivers and Utilities CD is c**p, i cant get anything to work, i extract some files that need to work but ended up saying that it need a Disk 1, but it in the CD rom, i dont understand why it asked me that. So i went to dell.com to get the driver for it, i want to know which driver is required for 600m, i wonder there any help with it, im not sure which driver is needed for the dell

2. i been trying to install ATI display driver for the laptop, that what Dell told me to use it. there a error saying that it a wrong driver for it, and when i try to install the driver only, it just crashed on me.

You can definitely have bad sectors(which typically grow) and still not have SMART flag it as bad. I am also weighting my diagnosis of a bad drive based on dban not being able to complete.

If it was me, I would try reformatting, using the slow method, then reinstall again. Something seems really wrong.

For testing purposes, do you have another laptop drive laying around?

sadly i dont have any laptop drive around. how i go with the slow method? a slow method of Dban or format in NTFS without a quick format?

Is there way for SMART to flag a bad sector, i did run chkdsk /r cmd, it said everything is fine, no errors, but i know there is a few of them