Hello all Merry Christmas to all. My dads computer is acting very weird and can't figure it out. Last night is kept on rebooting, and the last time it rebooted a warning came up in red letters on post screen saying something about overclocking system may harm your computer press any key to continue except del key. When I pressed any key it then ask to keep original setting by pressing the [y] or [n] I then went into the bios setting a set the bios setting to load safe setting and saved them by exiting. I then reinstall vista and thought this would fix the problem. An hour went by then my father came to me and said he got this screen saying the computer must shut down to prevent damage to the computer. His computer is very new as I built it in the summer of 2008. I'm thinking it could be a bad driver causing this problem, but not really sure on this one. Does anyone know how to correctly fix this?

His specs are: Windows Vista Home Premium

2GB Ram

MSI Mother board (Can't remember the model #)

500GB HDD

Thanks Sceeter32

Well if you are not overclocking it ; then I would suspect that a voltage regulator on the motherboard is bad or the power supply is bad and voltage is too high , or the clock crystal on the motherboard has a crack and is running faster than it is supposed to.

Have you checked to see what clock speed the CPU appears to be running at? RAM?

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

http://www.cpuid.com/

Or try SIW

http://www.gtopala.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To back up what Pete said. I just had a computer come through my shop that was freezing up in Windows, but more importantly, while booting, it was giving an error in regards to an overclocking. A new PSU fixed it :-)

edit added later//

as John "Hannibal" Smith says

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Thanks all for the advise I'll be looking into another power supply soon. It's running normal again with no more errors. Do you think its wise just to change the power supply anyways?

Thanks all for the advise I'll be looking into another power supply soon. It's running normal again with no more errors. Do you think its wise just to change the power supply anyways?

What did you do that seems to have solved it?

If you go and right click on my computer and choose manage, go to event viewer, system logs

Are there any red events associated with the problem? If so , what do they say?

As before, check your voltages with SIW or similar. See if they or the speeds vary or change from day to day , hour to hour . (IE, get a notebook and start keeping some records so if it happens again you have a starting point for troubleshooting the problem).

Ya I forgot to mention after getting those errors in the post screen I just reinstalled windows vista HP and now the pc works fine. My father goes everywhere on the net. He downloads music from frostwire and was noticing his computer was acting strange lately. I was rebooting and at the post screen these red lettering came up and said something like: If you are trying to overclock, your settings may harm your computer. to fix this problem look in your bios to fix. Press DEL key to enter Bios settings. I entered the bios and check the setting and everything looked fine, so just in case I went to set default settings and saved the setting. I Then reinstalled Vista. After the reinstall his computer rebooted a couple of times on its own, but after that the computer runs great.