Transfer Files From Old To New Notebook

I hope you can help as I have an old notebook that is loaded with files. I work at home a lot of the time. I would like to efficiently transfer all my files to a new notebook. I have been told this can be done by networking the two notebooks. I have a router at home. I have also been told this can be done with an extenal hard drive which I would purchase if I know what to pick up.

It is important to mention that I will need to transfer a software program from my notebook that allows me to access the server at work so I can work at home called Reflections. It was loaded onto my notebook with a CD that I do not have. Can this file be easily transferred to new notebook without the original CD from my work?

Thank you for answering both questions! I am pretty familiar working with the computer but may need some help to get this done!

As to transferring the files, networking them would be the cheapest method. Using an external hard drive would also work well. A second reason for getting the external drive would be to use it as a backup source. Any file that you don't want lost should be in two separate locations.

As to transferring the program, I don't think it can be done. Most programs are installed in many locations, including many settings in the registry. You will need to get the original cd