any one know any thing about this

a friend sent it to me

bless him

did install a flsh up date

but that was from windows up date

are these the same thing

For information -- Think before you update Flash!

Malware purveyors have wasted no time capitalizing on Barack Obama's landslide victory in the US presidential race. Within 12 hours of his acceptance speech Tuesday night, net users were being treated to scams involving Google AdWords and prodigious volumes of spam.

The spam comes masked as dispatches from legitimate news sources, including the BBC and CNN, and invite readers to click a link to view a video of Obama accepting his country's vote. Those who take the bait are sent to a spoof page of the news site that claims they need to update their Adobe Flash Player before viewing the speech.

In fact, Adobe_flash9.exe installs the notorious Trojan-PSW:W32/Papras.CL, according to anti-virus provider F-Secure. Earlier Wednesday, just 14 of the 36 major anti-virus programs detected the trojan, according to this analysis from VirusTotal. Once installed, the malware, which cloaks itself in a rootkit, logs passwords for bank sites and other sensitive information and sends them to a server located in Ukraine.

The fraudulent news sites are being hosted on a fast-flux network of infected machines. Cloudmark, a company that provides spam filtering service, has already seen more than 10 million of the spam messages.

Don't know if that's a real threat or not, but if you open "dispatches" (I assume that means e-mails) that you did not sign up for, you most certainly WILL get malware eventually.

I can't imagine opening an e-mail from CNN or other news sources. "Um, I didn't sign up for that - DELETE."

thanks jd

yes i thought of that

and it is one of the reasons

i posted

i was told the update i installed should have

comfrom adobe and not windows up date

so i had to go hunting for it and found and deleted it

i trusted win update

i have problems finding things in win vista

so if i need to up date ile wait for adobe to

remind me

marty

Edited by martymas

If YOU go to a site you trust and the flash player says you need an update, you're "relatively" safe in accepting it (among other slight threats there's a new "click-jacking" technique that could make that unsafe, but it's unlikely in this instance). YOU chose to use Windows Update, so that should be safe. The original note made it seem like it had to be something YOU didn't choose to go to, it was "dispatched" TO you instead.

-----

Edited by JDoors

These days, with Microsoft pushing automatic updates for critical and security holes; increasingly malware is targeting exploits in software as opposed to the operating system.

Holes in Java, Flash, Winzip, Firefox, Opera and other common applications now are exploited more commonly that those in Windows itself in new emerging versions of malware.

For this reason it is important to keep up to date.

Check sites like calendar of updates regularly

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/i...hp?act=calendar

And check for holes in what you have installed at Secunia

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

It is also important when you find that you have outdated and vulnerable versions of software that you not only install the new version but uninstall the old vulnerable version.