Trying To Revive An Old Desktop

I'm trying to revive an old desktop with windows XP in it, nothing seemed to be wrong with it except that it was extremely slow (had too many programs, spyware and very few memory in it). So, I decided to use the recovery partition that the system had, and after having made a full system recovery I proceeded to power the system and it was back to it's initial state. Granted, this means that it has all the crapware that came along with it, so I decided to uninstall some programs. I started with Norton Antivirus, and after uninstalling it went on with the usual "restart the system" requirement.

So now here comes the problem, after restarting the system I run into a message that says:

Windows could not restart because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

I have no idea what this file is, or where I can get it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I'm trying to revive an old desktop with windows XP in it, nothing seemed to be wrong with it except that it was extremely slow (had too many programs, spyware and very few memory in it). So, I decided to use the recovery partition that the system had, and after having made a full system recovery I proceeded to power the system and it was back to it's initial state. Granted, this means that it has all the crapware that came along with it, so I decided to uninstall some programs. I started with Norton Antivirus, and after uninstalling it went on with the usual "restart the system" requirement.

So now here comes the problem, after restarting the system I run into a message that says:

Windows could not restart because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

I have no idea what this file is, or where I can get it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

did you try safe mode

and i think that is what you should have done when you deleted nortons

it is an over rated over bloated hard to get rid of program

try safe mode

then post back

if you can get a xp disk

we maybe able to replace that file

marty