Yeah, Windows 98. I have a lot of old DOS games that work great under 98 ( and NOT under XP) and I

have 5 grandkids that love to play games on Grandpa's computer.

Having recently upgraded my comp, I am trying to get everything back like I had it and

it's not working out right. Probably something simple that I'm missing. Here's what I am

running right now.

Master drive is Windows XP Pro SP3

I am running it on a AMD 64 Dual Core 6000+ at 3.1 Ghz

and I have the RAM maxed out at 4 X 1024 MG (4 gigs)

What I tried to do today was to format my other drive (another 80Gig) and then install Windows 98

onto that and I would boot to the drive I want to use. Either Win98 or WinXP.

When it finished installing the 98, it went to restart and then I get a message that it doesn't have enough memory to run Windows and I should remove any memory resident programs from the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files.

Well I manages to get on this drive and checked those files, and the ONLY entry in the config.sys is Device=C:\Windows\Setver.exe and there ISN'T an Autoexec.bat file at all.

When I get that message, my only option is to hit 'enter' to continue and that shuts down the computer.

Now.........what do I have to do to get that Windows 98 to boot? Any ideas, or am I just plain out of luck.

Help me, experts.........

Edited by jimras

Thanks for the answers...........not the answer that I wanted, but thanks, none the less.

Guess I'll have to figure out something else.

jim

Have you tired to run the games in compatibility mode?

Yes I have and they don't work. Some won't even install. They have their own install

program and when you put them in the drive and click on install, you get asked what drive

and so on. I can't input anything into the program at that point. It's like the keyboard

just quit and you have to input something.....there is no "default" to drive C:\

I guess they are just too old. They were fun, too.