last week i was prompted to install SP1 so i did and it needed to be restarted so i did. i let the installer run all night and when i woke up it was on a screen that had !! 0xc0190036 !!. i left it on for 3 more hours and nothing changed. i pressed the power button and it turned off. i turned it back on and it went to a black screen that says windows failed to start and i have 2 options: launch startup repair and the other is startup normally. both lead to a bsod with the code 0x0000c1f5. i cant go into safemode or anything... i need my computer for school... any ideas?

Well, someone has to break the bad news. It sounds like you have bricked your windows installation. I had this happen to me once before, it created an endless loop due to Office 2k7 sp1... but, basically the same idea, only difference i could get into safe mode.

Since you're in such a bad position, i hope you have the windows install cd. You need to run repair mode or recovery mode, whatever it's called off the cd. It should hopefully fix your windows enough that you can log in and backup your data, though i wouldn't recommend you keep running windows if that works as is. Chances are it won't be as stable as it was prior. Since a service pack changes so many important system files, imho, i'd recommend you reinstall and upgrade to sp1 w/ a new installation for maximum stability.

Now, if you can't fix windows once you've run the disk and you still can't log on or even get on in safe mode, you need to do one of two things.

You have two options...The first option is, simply do a re-install of windows, sadly, this means you'll lose everything that you didn't back-up. Option 2, more time consuming, but likely to save your data is to connect the hdd to another computer, copy over what you need and then reformat and re-install windows.

Hope this helps...Some may tell you you don't necessarily need to re-install, but, it'll save you a lot of headaches later on and you'll know it's not gonna break down cuz of some misc. file that was altered. Peace of mind is a tricky thing when it comes to computers.

Yes I've seen that page about the linux cd but I do have a question before starting it. When it says I need a vista dvd, my computer didn't come with one. It came with a "windows vista anytime upgrade" cd. Is that the same thing? When I try to boot from that cd I get the same bsod so i'm thinking of trying to do that workaround.

I got to the part where it is "attempting repairs" on the windows start up repair screen but it has not made any progress in about.. 16 hours so far, a blue bar slides across in the little window but no progress so far... It says I can't cancel the opperation, but doesn't give me a reason why. I can't X out of it or click cancel. Any ideas on why this has happened? Would it be bad if I held the powerbutton down and shut the computer off? Any help would be appreciated, thanks