My sons Compaq Presario sr1012nx was bought from a discount warehouse.

It only has a recovery partition. No XP cd came with it.

I activated it using the coa on the sticker on the computer. We have used that code to keep XP updated.

Sysstem specs shows an entirely different coa code.

I use my copy of XP to make a new install on another HD and have tried both coa's but neither will activate.

1) Will I have to call MS in India to get it activated and what do I tell them?

My youngest son just bought a new computer and is bring me his old HP xe783 and his copy of XP Home cd this weekend.

2) Will MS let me use the XP cd on both Computers since they will both be here in the house?

Would like to give the HP to my wife to learn how to use.

Thanks.

Just call them and say you needed to do a fresh install. Pretty much any time you do a reinstall of XP OEM versiosn you need to call in to activate. You should have no problem. As to using the same Home OEM CD that shouldn't be an issue as long as you use different Home OEM COAs.

Just call them and say you needed to do a fresh install. Pretty much any time you do a reinstall of XP OEM versiosn you need to call in to activate. You should have no problem. As to using the same Home OEM CD that shouldn't be an issue as long as you use different Home OEM COAs.

Thanks TT_75

I figured that was what I would have to do.

I just thought I had read somewhere that MS would let you install on two computers if they were in your home.

Maybe I was thinking about a desktop and a laptop and not two desktops. Probably wrong all the way around.

Anyway Thanks again.