Finally Building A New Computer...

Hi, all! I used to hang out here, but, with my funky old computer, family health problems, and other things, I've been away. It's too depressing to look at all this cool information, and struggle along with my little old eMachine business computer at 1.7GHz with one little core, no sound card, no graphics card.

Well, for my seventh anniversary, my husband is letting me build a new toy! I've started buying parts, but want to share them with you all, and humbly ask for any advise/recommendations/words-of-encouragement... whatever. I'm building with an eye to future upgrades.

Thanks, all!

This is what I have so far:

Case: Sunbeam Transformer... deep blue... yeah I know... Transformers... but I see it as a transformation from my dino-puter to a blazing new machine... haven't named it yet... maybe y'all can help.

Mobo: EVGA nForce 750i SLI Socket 775

CPU: Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4 GHz Q660

RAM: 4G Crucial... I don't have the specs in front of me here.

GX: EVGA 8600GTS 256... yeah, it's not the best, but the best I can afford, and I can SLI another in a few months

PS: Hiper 650 W, SLI ready

Optical: Sony DVD RW... I'll Add a Sony DVD Player later

Audio: SoundBlaster Audigy... yeah, I got the littlest SoundBlaster they have, but I live in a small place...

Lots of blue and UV lights/lighted fans

Whew... I am so stoked!!! This is my first build, so I expect a few bumps. I think the main things I need advise on right now are:

CPU Cooler: No overclocking, but most of the cool looking coolers are way over the weight of 450g, which, I think is the max that Intel recommends. (Shoot, this thing just started using the single quote as a hot key to FireFox Find... I saw somewhere here how to fix that. Hope I can find it again... weird that it started happening just after I read about it...) Just started reading the Thermal and MEchanical Guidelines PDF, all 199 pages, but I am pretty sure that 450g is max. WHat do you all think about these heavier, nicer looking cpu cooler fans?

TV Tuner: I have Dish TV, and also would like to upload my old VHS to DVD

Network: I have wired DSL, would like this new machine to be wireless in another room. Plus, I want to leave the printer in the living room, and print from the new machine from my bedroom. This old dinosaur will be turned into a 98 machine for play, or I will clean it up, and give it to my Mom's 80 year old neighbor, who still has ME.

Dual Boot: I've never tried this, but I'd like to try Vista, XP, maybe 98, and Linux (used to program, with this new machine, I can bring up my skills again)

Well, that's all I can think at this moment... I'm sure I'll have more questions soon...

Thanks for all of your time!

Edited by Surfer_Gurl

Well, lets start with this

would like this new machine to be wireless in another room. Plus, I want to leave the printer in the living room, and print from the new machine from my bedroom.

The simple thing to do is to buy a wireless router and of course have a wireless adapter card in the new PC.

This lets you network things and share the network wirelessly and as opposed to internet connection sharing you only need the router on and not the other PC. Leave the router on , they are cheap and reliable and designed for this. Trying to set up an ad hoc wireless network with just two computers (no router) and enabling internet connection sharing is more trouble than it is worth. Often you wind up with issues like an antivirus updater or similar causing freezes on shutdown or boot if you turn the computers on or off in the wrong order and setting things up is really not for the average user. It is far simpler to use a router, and wireless routers still have four wired ports to use .

Which brings me to printers. Yes you can share the current printer and have it connected to the existing computer; but again this means that that computer must be on to be able to print and it can cause problems with boot or shutdown if you do things in the wrong order.

I find it far simpler these days to buy a network ready printer which just connects to your router by ethernet (or even wireless) . In fact they even have all in one (print , scan , copy , fax) which you can connect to the router (and a phone line for fax) and then do all these things from any computer or directly from the printer. Many include card readers you can use for your memory cards on cameras or as removable storage (IE , if you have a camera using SD, you can put a compact flash, and Smart Media, etc in the other slots to use as storage shared by all computers on your network).

I am actually a fan of using Network Attached Storage (NAS) enclosures for hard drives which attach to the router for shared storage amongst all computers on the network (you can give each computer its on private folder as well as have shared folders which can appear as drives in my computer). I especially like the ones with built in FTP , HTTP, and Torrent servers so you can access them over the internet (from work or when traveling to save data ) without having to leave a computer on. IE if you are in a hotel with internet access, you can save a copy of your vacation photos to your storage at home as backup in case the camera gets stolen from your luggage.

Okay to your parts list

There are generally two basic choices one is to go for sweet spot choices; Items which are up to date but not so bleeding edge that they are overpriced; and the other is to spend massive amounts for the latest and greatest knowing it will be outdated by the time you get it built..

There is generally going to be a point where any increase in performance results in a greater percentage increase in price . But if you wait six months that point will shift upwards. This is the current sweet spot.

As long as you plan your build with an upgrade path in mind this is the place to buy. IE , if you choose a motherboard which can support faster processors and buy at the sweet spot now, chances are you can upgrade to a faster processor in a year to eighteen months and still spend less than you would have if you had bought that processor now.

As such I think I would opt for a step higher in the processor. Just remember that both motherboard and Ram choices now affect future processor upgrade paths.

Memory: Unless you have a 64 Bit processor and OS 4GB is a waste. The 32bit 4GB limit applies to the sum total of all Memory addresses , including RAM and the memory on your video card primarily.

So if you plan on sli two 256MB graphics cards, you only have 3.5GB of memory addresses left. Since there may be other things using memory addresses 3GB of RAM would be a good limit to aim for, Dual channel is preferable in pairs, so consider this when choosing the motherboard.

Can you put in two 1GB and two 512MB?

If you only have two banks your option is now two 1GB sticks since two 2GB would exceed the limits and therefore you may find you cannot run dual channel since one stick would be disabled for not having enough addresses to use it.

Optical is fine, No need for multiple drives when you have a good multifunction one. With a large hard drive the burner software should be able to cache data to the hard drive when burning a copy .

Remember to take the lights, fans etc and some overhead (any future additional components you are contemplating like extra drives ) into account when choosing your power supply . Not having enough power is a major source of problems down the road.

Wow, Pete! Lots of information here! You are always SO good at giving through, detailed explanations, and understandable. Also, you don't just answer what is asked, you always give us the information we really NEED, and didn't know how to ask!

I will absorb this information, as I continue shopping. I especially like your info about the printer, as I want the computer wireless in the bedroom, but can leave the printer wired in the living room/office. then I will be able to totally get rid of this dino-puter. KEWL!

Well, Pete covered a crapload. here's my $.02:

Go ahead and spend a little extra on a GeForce 8800GT over the 8600. Trust me. There is a WORLD of difference between the 2 and if you are a gamer, you'll be much happier with a single 8800GT than dual 8600GTS's. I learned my lesson with the 7 series on my previous rig. I cheaped out and started with a single 7600GT and then later threw in a second for SLI. Performance was not a great deal better and single 7900GT's were still better than my twin 7600GT's. This time around I went single 8800GT (almost went single 9800GT but for the price, the performance gain wasn't enough plus, it uses a revised G92 core which is the same as the 8800GT). And if you don't feel like spending that much on a card (which really if I own one, they are relatively affordable cause I never have money) then get a 9600GT. Comes close in performance to a 8800GT.

Having the dual 7600GT's did prove useful however in allowing for triple monitor operation when not gaming. Now I use a single 8800GT powering my main monitor and one of the old 7600GT's running both my side monitors while the other 7600GT is goin back into the old rig once I get a new PSU for it. Then I can have me an extra PC for something or I will give it to my parents to replace their (actually MY) ancient Compaq.

OK, My bank account is happy again, so I can keep shopping.

Today: Looking for:

OS: I think I'll stick with XP, but what's the difference between OEM at $90, and retail box? How about 32 vs 64 bits? 64 bits seem intuitively twice as fast, but I think this is mobo dependent? Sorry about all the dumb questions, but this old dino-puter limits my surfing and learning ability.

... I'm wondering if I should ask questions in separate threads, or keep it all here?...

CPU cooler: To my understanding, Intel recommends 450g or less for a cooler. Most cool ones I see are a lot heavier... up to 2.5 pounds! I think I might go with the cheapie at xoxide.

Wireless router: I have an old wireless G card that I think works, so I can probably use that in the computer. But I need a wireless router. G or N? Keep in mind that I don't game much, mostly CAD, graphics, house design, etc. And keep in mind that my budget is getting really thin... I spent more than I had planned on what I have already (for upgrade potential).

TV Tuner: I know zero minus nothing about these, except what I read in Maximum PC, but I'd like a two tuner card, compatible with DishTV, so I can record Dexter.

That will probably max out today's budget... tomorrow, I will be able to start looking for 2 HDDs. I think this is all I need to get this puppy fired up, then, budget allowing, I get a Big A$$ monitor, new speakers also this week.

As usual, any advise is helpful to this first time builder.

Wireless router: I have an old wireless G card that I think works, so I can probably use that in the computer. But I need a wireless router. G or N? Keep in mind that I don't game much, mostly CAD, graphics, house design, etc. And keep in mind that my budget is getting really thin... I spent more than I had planned on what I have already (for upgrade potential).

OK, I've done some research, and will stick with G, as that will be fast enough, and will give me an upgrade path in the next couple of years, when the dust settles on N. Now to find a good price on a good one. I just plug this in between my DSL and wired computer & wired printer (Spankin'new HP Office Jet 6310), right?

OS: I think I'll stick with XP, but what's the difference between OEM at $90, and retail box? How about 32 vs 64 bits? 64 bits seem intuitively twice as fast, but I think this is mobo dependent? Sorry about all the dumb questions, but this old dino-puter limits my surfing and learning ability

You definitely want to go with XP 32 bit. This is as fast as the 64 bit version, but much more compatible. Their are a few specific reasons you may want to run 64 bit. If you needed it you would know.

The difference between OEM and retail is mainly the license. The retail version can be switched from computer to different computer. The OEM version is tied to only one computer. Microsoft does not want you to switch it to another computer.