I am trying to format my hard drive. I have googled what I can, and now have hit a stumbling block.

In safemode, after I type "format c:/u" it tells me that this cannot be preformed because something else is running. A computer guy told me that is because Windows is running and the volume is in use. Sooo...

How do I get into safemode without Windows? Or, how do I force Windows not to run the volume thing?

-OR- is there something else all together I need to do??

Thanks!!!!

(I have a Dell laptop and use Windows XP Media)

You need to boot the computer with the XP CD, boot disk or other similar media then format the hard drive. Do you have the Media XP or other XP CD?

Nope, my ex-husband has everything (almost everything, I should say). And my laptop has been hit with some awful virus or the like and now I cannot even navigate the internet well, let alone download anything!

I have been working on this for 2 days. I fear that taking the laptop in somewhere will cost me more than just buying a new one!!

Right now, I am at a friend's house using her computer. My laptop is with me, but isn't a lot of good.

I would not format the laptop unless you had some way to restore the operating system. Can you access the restoration partition? Also what is the laptop formatted as, NTFS or FAT32? Are you able to transfer programs via floppy disk, CD or USB drive?

I would not format the laptop unless you had some way to restore the operating system. Can you access the restoration partition? Also what is the laptop formatted as, NTFS or FAT32? Are you able to transfer programs via floppy disk, CD or USB drive?

Ummm.... hmmm... I don't know what a restoration partition is. I have no idea what my laptop if formatted as. Yes, I can transfer programs via JumpDrive / USB.

How much time do you have? :blush:

I have lots of time. It could be fixed sooner if I was visiting my brother in the San Mateo area.

Let's see if we can clean it up.

Download the newest HijackThis to a USB drive attached to your friend's computer and then transfer it to your laptop.

TrendMicro HijackThis ver. 2.0.2

Read these directions.

How To Post A Hijackthis Log, Easy to Follow Guide

Copy the generated log file then paste it in the following section of the forums.

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Let the HJT experts know you do not have the XP CD.

Please wait patiently for the experts to read your log and guide you on removing your malware.

This describes the procedure for restoring your laptop to the factory install and how to fix the issue if you cannot access the recovery partition.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Download the newest HijackThis to a USB drive attached to your friend's computer and then transfer it to your laptop.

TrendMicro HijackThis ver. 2.0.2

Ok, I can't seem to download it to my USB drive. It goes directly to a place called "downloads" on this computer without asking me.

My other issue now is that the my friend's computer is an Apple... and it is not liking the Hijackthis file at all. When I open it, I get something like this (only a lot more!!):

w∆¸kÛyûfil≈€¸mi>'Opænx˘4üÃåöovp“º›ßÚoqÊnrììßy$sW«‡˘<#üÃ

t#˚˝ui>O≥ vó≠8w∂|ûfÛŒ{H|iÙı~Õßy“

Am I correct in thinking I will not be able to do this at all with the help of my friend's computer?

Laymans First step.

First thing I would try is to restore back to a time before the virus attack. Run virus scan (may pickup virus in restore point not in use this is OK for now) . Create a new restore point. Trash all but most recent restore points. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555367

then run a complete virus scan and malware scan.

This is just a good way to start. Many time it will clear up all but the worst infections.

(this is just a simple place to start)

If it does not work escalate to more aggressive means.

I have read it and see it is infected. The experts will help with cleaning it up. Once it is clean and any other issues arise post back here and we'll continue to solve any additional problems.

Looks like I did it!! Well, ok, really Ryan held my hand and helped me every tiny step of the way. But I'd like to take credit for some of it. Hehe. :)

If you want to restore it to the way it was when it left the factory, do the system recovery. This will delete all of your personal data, but the computer will run like new again(fast).

this link was posted earlier in the thread. It will show you just what to do. To simplify it, just hold down the CTRL key while tapping the F11 key during bootup. Then it will start the recovery program and walk you through the rest of the process.

I have read it and see it is infected. The experts will help with cleaning it up. Once it is clean and any other issues arise post back here and we'll continue to solve any additional problems.

Looks like I did it!! Well, ok, really Ryan held my hand and helped me every tiny step of the way. But I'd like to take credit for some of it. Hehe. :)

I followed your progress. You did quite well. Bravo! :thumbsup: