This one isn't urgent, but it's irritating me.

My normally faithful Gigabyte P965-DS3 has demonstrated a total inability to do all of these three tasks simultaneously:

1) overclock

2) run 4 DIMMs

3) boot with more than 1 USB device plugged in

This irks me, since it was everybody's favorite overclocking board in it's day - but I guess that was a day when RAM was much more expensive, and people in general didn't test it with 4 sticks.

For now I shall simply not plug in my scanner/pendrive until I've booted into windows, but in the long run I'm on the lookout for a new motherboard. I don't care about SLI, firewire, RAID, or really anything beyond being able to do the three points above at the same time. I have 1 SATA HDD, 1 SATA DVD, and no floppy, serial, or parallel devices needing legacy sockets.

I currently have my eye on an Asus P5K-E WiFi (since it would be no bad thing to get rid of my PCI wireless card in the process) but I am open to suggestion from anyone who is managing all 3 of the above with a different board

Thoughts appreciated.

Hello IMOH I would say away from ASUS board as I owned a few and also heard from others in my local computer store that asus is falling behind. If I were you I would stick with gigabyte or MSI Boards. Anyways thats my opinion take it as you wish.

Sceeter32

wouldn't happen to be a bad board causing any issues?

I've only owned 1 ASUS board and it's in my current rig but I'm runnin an AMD setup (soon to change if nVidia doesn't start making good chips for AMD again otherwise, I'm goin Intel). If your processor is compatible, EVGA's Intel motherboards are supposed to be really good. My last rig ran an AMD EVGA motherboard (NF47 nForce4 SLIx16) and it was quite stable but I never overclocked (until right before I retired it but it was software overclocked through Windows) and only had 2 sticks of RAM in it. But I did have multiple USB devices attached and going (printer, external HDD, mouse, etc.) and my current ASUS (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) also has multiple devices plugged in (G11 Keyboard, MX518 mouse, printer, external HDD, sometimes a Steering wheel or Joystick or even both).

I believe my next build will have an EVGA board again cause they are supposed to have some really good boards out right now. Only reason I went with an ASUS this time cause I was too stubborn to switch to Intel (stupid) and EVGA didn't have any AM2 boards.