I just deleted all my partitions, did a full format, and installed XP from my OEM Dell CD.

Not that I'm complaining, but I thought it was unusual that it NEVER asked for my XP key.

I know that I don't have any hidden partitions.

I installed all the SP2 critical updates. I just manually checked Windows activation using the command prompt "oobe/msoobe /a" and it said t was already activated.

That's never happened before.

Could that be due to the fact that I installed Windows Genuine pain in the A($$)dvantage tool? Still, I always used to get hit with a key request when I first started the installation. Not this time however.

I kind of ran into the same thing last week. Just started to reload a Dell. It asked for the key and I discovered that 2 keys on the keyboard didn't work, so I canceled the install. After getting another keyboard and trying again, it never asked for it. Talked to the lady the other day and she hasn't had any issues.

Mark

That is odd. I really wish I knew how that could happen.

I have never seen this happen either - most times, you need a key and they ask you to activate - maybe with an OEM machine you don't have to on the subsequent installs........strange.....

Let me know if you find anything out as to why this happened......would be interested in it ;)

Brian

Usually the OEM Key is already installed on the motherboard of a name brand machine. If you use the right OEM CD it will always go through without activation needed. I have seen this with both Dell and HP/Compact PCs

I have a Dell Test machine that I never have to go through the activation process with. Just reformat and go.

Usually the OEM Key is already installed on the motherboard of a name brand machine. If you use the right OEM CD it will always go through without activation needed. I have seen this with both Dell and HP/Compact PCs

I have a Dell Test machine that I never have to go through the activation process with. Just reformat and go.

That was my guess, but why one time and not the other?

Mark

That's weird cause my old HP laptop required the CD-Key when I reinstalled on it but I can't remember if I had to activate or not.

For me what was strange was I was able to make XP Home SP2 activate on a PC (white box) over the internet using the Key from another PC (HP, Home SP1) without any trouble. Usually I had to call M$ and explain to them what I was doing (using SP2 CD with SP1 key, usually on the same computer as the key but since the PC the key was on was dead, I used it for another PC) and get the activation code from them.