but ime so frustrated

if i hook up the cd rom and the twohdds

it shows none for all the drive

is there any

info on the board to help

as ime not tech savy

i find it difficult to explain the problem

marty

What brand and model of both hard drives? Try jumpering both to CS (Cable Select) and place the drive you want as Master to the middle connector of the IDE cable and the drive that you want slaved at the end of the cable. Make sure the hard drives are connected to the Primary IDE of the motherboard. Optical drives should be on the Secondary IDE.

this is from wikipedia

Cable select

A drive setting called cable select was described as optional in ATA-1 and has come into fairly widespread use with ATA-5 and later. A drive set to "cable select" automatically configures itself as master or slave, according to its position on the cable. Cable select is controlled by pin 28. The host adapter grounds this pin; if a device sees that the pin is grounded, it becomes the master device; if it sees that pin 28 is open, the device becomes the slave device.

This setting is usually chosen by placing a jumper on the "cable select" position, usually marked CS, rather than on the "master" or "slave" position.

With the 40-wire cable it was very common to implement cable select by simply cutting the pin 28 wire between the two device connectors; putting the slave device at the end of the cable, and the master on the "middle" connector. This arrangement eventually was standardized in later versions. If there is just one device on the cable, this results in an unused "stub" of cable, which is undesirable for physical convenience and electrical reasons. The stub causes signal reflections, particularly at higher transfer rates.

When the 80-wire cable was defined for use since ATAPI5/UDMA4, the master device goes at the end of the 18-inch cable(black connector), the middle-slave connector is grey, the blue connector goes onto the motherboard. So, if there is only one (master)device on the cable, there is no cable "stub" to cause reflections. Also, cable select is now implemented in the slave device connector, usually simply by omitting the contact from the connector body. Both the 40-wire and 80-wire parallel-IDE cables share the same 40-socket connector configuration.

thank you for your posts

some thing TT said about the ide connections

made me try another ide conecter

and damed if it works

the one i had previously has been on there here a very long time

and it seems it wasent

recognising the master end of the cable

it was showing as no drives in the bios

with this other one i have all drives showing

i had xp on the slave drive

and now i can axcess slave nad master

one Q