Need Feedback On Security Article

Hi guys happy new year ... I would like your opinion of this report I saw about a very bad virus ... :unsure:

Warning on stealthy Windows virus

Once installed the virus, dubbed Mebroot by Symantec, usually downloads other malicious programs, such as keyloggers, to do the work of stealing confidential information.

Would it be wise to download and install the fix? Is this something we should be concerned about? :ph34r:

Thanks for the input in advance ... :thumbsup:

Warnings like this come out many times; a few make it to news articles like the BBC, etc.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about if you practice safe internet activity in the first place. Be careful of websites you visit, never fall for pop-up/ad promises and stay clear of installing various pieces of software through your web browser.

From the get-go, the article mentioned that the vulnerability affects Internet Explorer ("Microsoft's browser"), so you can be proactive by using another browser such as Firefox or Opera. Secondly, keep your antivirus and antimalware software definitions up to date. Run scans frequently so you can detect any problems early. Although the article mentions that this rootkit cannot be cleared while the OS is booted, running periodic scans will help in early detection so you know what actions to take.

Symantec alluded to a fix at the bottom of their article, but this requires rewriting the MBR. I have never seen an option to write-protect the MBR in the BIOS, but if you find it that would be a good feature to enable.