N00b Wireless Question

Hello,

I'm fairly comfortable setting up a wired network, but, I am completely new to setting up a wireless network. In the Spring I'll be buying a macbook and an airport extreme base station for my daughter. I'll be assigning the base station its own static IP address. I know that I need to install the airport extreme software to the macbook prior to setting up the extreme base station.

Here is my question. Once the extreme base station software is installed on my macbook does the macbook need to be physically attached to the base station via cat 5 or can I set-up networking on the extreme base station wirelessly with my macbook?

Thank you for any and all answers. :)

hitest

And you don't need to install any software on the macbook, comes with everything installed. If you want to administrate the airport from windows you will have to install airport software on your PC.

The only thing you really do is open the airport utility, follow the extremely simple setup, choose a password. You can also plug in a usb printer to the base station and all computers on the network can print to it. If you want to do advance configurations just click manual set up.

This part of the reason Mac users get the reputation for being tech dummies. You can setup complicated network and internet print, file and desktop sharing just by pushing a few pretty color buttons.

And you don't need to install any software on the macbook, comes with everything installed. If you want to administrate the airport from windows you will have to install airport software on your PC.

The only thing you really do is open the airport utility, follow the extremely simple setup, choose a password. You can also plug in a usb printer to the base station and all computers on the network can print to it. If you want to do advance configurations just click manual set up.

This part of the reason Mac users get the reputation for being tech dummies. You can setup complicated network and internet print, file and desktop sharing just by pushing a few pretty color buttons.

Cool. :matrix:

Thanks, isteve. I don't even need to install the airport extreme base station software (I didn't know that). This will make set-up a snap. I'm looking forward to getting this unit. Sweet. :)