Alright, this is my father's PC that he bought from IBuyPower a few years back. (big mstake, DO NOT buy from them) He says it's gotten harder to start latley so he quit turning it off. He turned it off last night to unplug a noisy fan and now it wont start. It fails either at or just past the BIOS screen!

I tried some different ram, and replaced the CMOS battery. He bought a new puter from Walmart last night so Ive got his old one with me to troubleshoot. Any ideas? Surley its not the PSU or itd show some other symptoms. Motehrboard maybe? No beeps though.

Any thoughts?

video card maybe? I don't know. i try EVERY possibility with this one computer I have cause it tends to quite booting a lot so I tear it open and mess with everything until it starts again.

Alright, this is my father's PC that he bought from IBuyPower a few years back. (big mstake, DO NOT buy from them) He says it's gotten harder to start latley so he quit turning it off. He turned it off last night to unplug a noisy fan and now it wont start. It fails either at or just past the BIOS screen!

I tried some different ram, and replaced the CMOS battery. He bought a new puter from Walmart last night so Ive got his old one with me to troubleshoot. Any ideas? Surley its not the PSU or itd show some other symptoms. Motehrboard maybe? No beeps though.

Any thoughts?

Howdy Bubba Bob,

It's been a while! Hope all is going well for you my friend!

Have you thought about getting another hdd?

Can you get into your bios?

video card maybe? I don't know. i try EVERY possibility with this one computer I have cause it tends to quite booting a lot so I tear it open and mess with everything until it starts again.

Pulled the video card, still no boot.

Howdy Bubba Bob,

Howdy Tyme, long time no see. (no pun intended) Stick around this time would ya?! :thumbsup:

The HDD is unplugged. When I hit the key to get into the bios it just dies. Dead motherboard?

Im thinking Ill just part it out.

i had this happen to me and it was a

hdd

which some one had changed the pin

from a the main drive to a slave

and also the bios showed to boot from the

floppy or the cd [cant remember now ]

once i set to boot from the hdd

it was away

yoho

thyme

my it is good to see you post

we miss you here

dont leave it to long to post

love to your family

those kids are starting to grow

take care

msrty

Pulled the video card, still no boot.

Howdy Bubba Bob,

Howdy Tyme, long time no see. (no pun intended) Stick around this time would ya?! :thumbsup:

The HDD is unplugged. When I hit the key to get into the bios it just dies. Dead motherboard?

Im thinking Ill just part it out.

Howdy Bubba_Bob

What does it do when you say it dies? Does it restart on a loop or does it just shut off? I notice you changed the battery, did you reset the jumpers as well or tried too?

Sounding like a dead mobo, funny thing is that it usually doesn't start to go bad and then die, when they die, they die. It is quick and normally painless for chips to go etc It isn't like a device with rotating/mechanical parts like a hdd or something like that.

Sounds not to good...

Hope you get going

Take Care

Tyme

Martymas

Thank you my friend!

It has been a long time, I hope all is going well for you and yours and all the great people on BT.

Love you all!!!

Take care

Tyme

It just dies. No loop. I dont have the manual for it so Im not sure as to how to reset the bios.

No biggy. Computers are so cheap now anyway. He got a new AMD 64 3600 PC w/ vista for only $350. Ill part this old one out to help make that up.

Thanks Tyme. Good to see you back!

Any thoughts?

Well I would go with it being the power supply , given the description of it becomming hard to turn on . That sounds like either a bios battery or bad power supply.

Cmos battery is cheap and easy to replace so go that route first and try booting to bios.

If it still does not , see if you can borrow a power supply to test it out.

Sometimes if you remove all PCI cards, disconnect power to all drives and just leave in the processor (with heatsink and fan connected) and ram and video card you can boot to bios on a weak power supply. If it does this but not when things are connected ; replace the power supply.

But the noisy fan makes me wonder. Did he unplug the heatsink fan on the CPU? Often if this fan is not connected to the proper header the motherboard safeties kick in and won't let the CPU power up since it would fry . On cheap boards of course you fry the cpu.