Hi, first time posting, so hope I am in the right area, but I cant figure out what is going on with my comp. I have a 3 or 4 year old HP desktop, which up until now was running fine, but now is starting to act up. I had previously been able to run games such as the new Oblivion game with no problem, but recently my windows media player has been crashing at random times for no apparent reason, my fish tank screen saver now wont run, and when I tried to install and run Age of empires 3, it told me I have some sort of issue with my Direct3d, but not what the issue was. I can now no longer run Oblivion, or any of my newer games including Heroes of Might and Magic V without the game stopping on the load screen with some sort of un-named error. Anyone have any ideas? I hate to call the geek squad, but my only close techie moved away, and I am hardly savvy that way. Any tips would be appreciated.

josh

Try updating your graphic card drivers.

Sometimes when you get normal updates through Microsoft, the OS will get updated to where older drivers seem not to run as expected. some updates add to the existing instalation in the form of internal OS fixes and tweaks. Thus your old drivers start to fail.

Go to the manifatures website for your graphic card and search for the latest and greatest drivers.

If your not sure what you have in your system. Try Auslogics System Information, It will give you a rundown on the hardware in your system

Hey thanks for the idea, I ran the diagnostic and these were the results:

DIRECT3D 7 test results:Test failed at step 8 (Creating 3D device); HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)

DIRECT3D 8 test results: Test failed at step 8 (Creating 3D device); HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

DIRECT3D 9 test results: Test failed at step 8 (Creating 3D device); HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

How does one roll back the version? In the link you referenced, it said that it isnt recommended to install a lower version unless it was completely uninstalled, but then it also says to not uninstall it because it can cause problems with the system....... I just dont want to make my computer FUBAR.

thanks again. :matrix: