SP3 is now available at the Microsoft Download Center as a 336MB download.

I have been reading that SP3 delivers a slight performance boost. Does this apply to scenarios where the user is updating over a vanilla version of Windows XP, Windows XP SP1 or Windows XP SP2? I have been keeping up to date with both critical and recommended hotfixes over at Windows Update for all my PCs.

I read your previous posts on SP3 and I must say thanks for the information! Just one last question: when the "gold" version of SP3 does roll out, will one who has already been using the RC1 need to completely uninstall it, or will the SP3 installer just update what needs changing to get it to the "gold" state?

You will have to uninstall the RC version to get the final version.

But for XP it's a simple thing to do. Not much time involved.

Vista on the other hand is a chore to uninstall the SP and replace. It's a half a night project. :wacko:

I'll have to do some checking on SP3 to see if it covers all the updates. I know somewhere I read something about SP1 and from there up. But If you would have to do the SP1 from a virgin copy of XP.... I'm not sure.

As for updates for M$, There are many Hotfixes that don't show up using "Windows Update". I have discovered that some, have to almost be searched for to find as a download. As they aren't listed as critical or recommended. Plus the added new features that come from the Vista build in security and compatability will come in the Service Pack.

And yes... I see the link I gave was yesterdays postings.. Thanks for updating my post.... :rolleyes:

A question for Jsky....

I downloaded and installed SP3 and I had the same problem that I had when I

repeatedly tried to install SP2. The install goes OK......and I did follow your instructions

that I saw posted above...and when I finally restart, the computer will boot up fine but

here's the thing.

Since I have automatic updates disabled, I get that little red shield in the lower right corner of the

task bar. When I hover over it, my choices are open the Windows Security Center or go to the

Microsoft web site. If I choose to open the security center, the Title bar of the window appears

on my screen but the window itself doesn't finish opening. After about 5 seconds, the mouse freezes

up and then another 10 seconds of so and the screen goes black and another 5 seconds or so, and

the computer reboots itself.

When it finally reboots, the security center again (by itself this time) tries to open and I get the title bar

and the lock ups and reboots. This just continues over and over.

What I finally end up doing is holding F-8 and open in safe mode and then uninstall the service pack.

I have asked for advise on this problem before when I couldn't get SP2 to install but finally just gave up and

turned off the auto update feature and wrote it off to experience. I had hoped that there might have been a

fix built into the SP3 that would let me install and get back to full protections.

Any thoughts or ideas??

thanks ... jim

Well, since the Security center seems to be my problem,

how do you disable it? I have a seperate firewall and AV

program that I run. I used to always do a manual install

of the updates but I couldn't do it when they started

the requirement of SP2 to get further updates.

I also use FF for my browser and Thunderbird for my

mail program with Mail Washer Pro.

If I could disable the security center without having to open it

I could re-install the SP3 and I would be all set!!

Start > Run, type services.msc then press the <enter> key. Scroll down to Security Center and double click it. In the "Startup type:" box use the arrow to scroll down to choose "Disabled" click Apply and reboot, or, click Apply and click the button that says Stop.

I will try that this weekend when I have time to monitor

the install and post back the results.

Thanks you so much for the help.

This has been a constant frustration

to me since SP2 was released.

jr

Well, I couldn't wait so I did it right now.

I disabled the security center and everything

else works fine. I set the auto updates to

just notify and not download and install and

it popped up with three updates which I did

download and install and all is right with the world!!!

Jsky, and Terrorist, thank you both so much for your

knowledge and advise.....you guys have solved a MAJOR

problem for me today and I owe you guys one!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

jim

Edited by jimras