I Can't Account For About 135gbs

I noticed my C: drive is using 270 of 600 gbs.

109gbs - media directory

2gbs - program files

8gbs - windows directory

this would mean I am using 151 gbs in my user(vista's documents and settings) directory. This includes all of my family members. I have about 10gbs in my account, my oldest daughter has 3gbs. then my wife and other two children just have a few gbs together. Where is the rest of my free space.

I have been checking space of directories by r-clicking and choosing properties. I suspect the space is in a user account that I do not have permission to view, so it is not registering as using space.

edit added later//

I am going to boot with a linux cd and use the du command on different directories. I suspect this may tell me something that properties is not.

Hidden files and folders?

Plus that drive is actually about 586GB. 600x1000=600000/1024=585.9

I actually have two 320gb drives running in raid 0(striped). So the size of the drive is 640gbs before formatting. I gave the figures of the drive after it was formatted. I just r-clicked on the C: drive then properties, then used those figures.

Maybe if a file is hidden, it does not show up as using space, for what ever dumb reason. I will check that.

Maybe a system restore point? I know XP does that, maybe your Vista system is all backed up on a hidden partition.

You might be on to something. I would assume the restore points would be somewhere in the "windows" directory. I will have to look into that.

edit added later//

I think you may be correct. system restore in vista which is based on shadow copy uses huge amounts of space.

it was system restore, after turning it off, I had recovered about 100gbs.

The mystery was caused by the fact vista does not let you see disk space being used by files that do not have full read permission even as an administrator. That is why my properties of the windows directory was just showing 8gbs.

it was system restore, after turning it off, I had recovered about 100gbs.

The mystery was caused by the fact vista does not let you see disk space being used by files that do not have full read permission even as an administrator. That is why my properties of the windows directory was just showing 8gbs.

Cool. Glad you recovered the HD space. :matrix: