Audible Dot Com.......

I wrote a post here last year when Audible forced me to give them another $10 so that I could continue to be able to access the audio books THAY I ALREADY PAID FOR!

As I didn't have time to download all the books that I had accumulated, I bit the bullet and paid the extortion.

Well almost a year has past and I thought I better choose the remaining credits I had and download the books that I wanted. I had six credits left. When I went to download I now see that they changed a lot of the popular bestsellers to two credits instead of one.

So I re selected the entries to stick with the one credit per book format. Downloaded them all twice, just to be sure.

Then I went to my account and cancelled so that I didn't get stuck for another automatic charge to my C.C.

They ask you "why" you are cancelling. I selected "upset with service", which I definately am.

They wouldn't let me cancel online! They wanted me to call them and talk to a representative. YEAH, RIGHT! :angry:

So I tried one more thing. I went back to the cancellation page and this time selected "financial" as the reason that I wanted to quit. That worked like a charm!

I was immediately cancelled. I guess you have to claim poverty to get rid of Aubible. :rolleyes:

Edited by irregularjoe

That was an interesting hunch! I don't think I'd have thought about changing my reason for cancelling to avoid having to talk to an incredibly annoying, professionally trained, "anti-cancel" rep. You probably passed up the chance to be "bribed" with some free downloads though (of course, then you'd have to remember to cancel again before they hit you up for more money). AOL (whatever happened to them? ;) ) would give you six months free, time and time again, just to keep their membership numbers up. I admit, I took advantage of 'em for the longest time.

I think I would have went ahead and talked to them to vent frustration. I woulda hollered into the phone "YA'LL *bleep*ING SUCK. Need I say more?" If they woulda BS'ed. I would hang up then cancel online using the financial thing. :rolleyes:

JDoors: They did try to bribe me momentarily online when I said I had no money. They offered me a "free" book. You know, "we'll give you a free audiobook and you can cancel within 14 days"...yada yada yada. But I've had it with them. Actually they USED to be a good company. No more unfortunately.

Honda Boy: I used to think like that too. But I'm getting too old to try to reason with people that I know in advance will just BS me. Give it 25 years or so. You'll see what I mean. Guess I've already vented enough frustration in this lifetime. :D

Marty: Audible dot com, Taliban version::: "We are sorry , but all audiobooks are banned. Except for the Koran of course, and a few others. Oh, we're also have a two for one sale on Bin Laden's Memoirs and Mein Kampf. :o

I think I would have went ahead and talked to them to vent frustration. I woulda hollered into the phone "YA'LL *bleep*ING SUCK. Need I say more?" If they woulda BS'ed. I would hang up then cancel online using the financial thing. :rolleyes:

Today I got called a "Hateful person" by a rep from some financial company that had been auto-dialing me for a month. This time the computer message named the person they were trying to contact, it wasn't me, so I picked up, waited five minutes to get a human (what's the point of making deadbeats wait five minutes?), then let them know in no uncertain terms they were not to call this number again. The lady kept trying to intererupt, I kept talking right over her. I didn't want to hear their spiel, I've heard it before, "Do you know this person, do you know where we can contact them, blah, blah, blah." "DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN." "Sir, you are a very hateful person."

HA! :lol:

That's rediculous. "Hateful person"???

The same thing happens to me all the time. I have my business land line automatically forwarded to my cell phone. So of course I'm paying the phone co. every time one of these idiots call me.

Recently I got a call from some crediter that was looking for someone else. It was a bad time, I think I was cooking or something. So when she asked for "John Doe" or whatever the name was I immediately said "wrong number, take my name off your list." Then she went into a tirade. So I hung up. A minute later the jerk called back and before I could say anything she started screaming "I know this is you (whatever the name was).... I replied this time in a LOUDER voice..."Take my name and number off your list!" She just kept rambling on. So then I told her to "Go and F................Yourself".

I have never heard back since.

The telephone has really changed . I remember a time when a call really meant something. People actually were kind of excited when the phone (usually hanging on the kitchen wall) rang. This of couse was way before caller ID, answering machines, cell phones, voicemail, Internet, etc. I'm really dating myself now, but for a short time my parents actually had a PARTY LINE! The reason was that the line was less expensive. You would only answer the phone when you heard your"distinctive ring". That was around 1963. Of course my sister and I used to pick up and listen to the other parties conversations...., but that's another story. :lol:

Anyway, that's my rant.

Edited by irregularjoe

That's why I didn't wait for her to say anything, I too have been through the same thing before. You're calling ME? And you're accusing ME of something? And you're asking ME for information? On MY time? On MY phone? And you're LIEING to me? GTFO! I also used to try to be reasonable and have also been immediately called back when I gave up and hung up on them, and, of course, they were then extremely rude, shouting and calling me names. Which is understandable since I'm such a hateful person. :rolleyes:

So, and also due to the other changes in phone etiquette that you've mentioned (in other words: there IS no etiquette any more), not only do I hang up on people when it suits me (which used to be wrong), I now know to talk over whoever's bothering me so they cannot get one word in edgewise (again, used to be wrong).

Great businesses they're in, huh? Tick off their "customers?" That's their JOB. Boy that must suck. (Just got a "hang-up" call, no message, guess who THAT might be?)