Cleaning Windows Xp Registries

My computer has been running quite slow; especially when booting up. Also, when I try to retrieve word documents, it appears to be searching, but then comes back with an empty microsoft word window screen. I then have go through the proceedure of File->Open and wait once again. The document is eventually retrieved.

The reason I think that it is probably a registry issue is that I have never clean my registries before, and when running a video to Ipod converter program, I received an error message stating something to the effect: ffmpeg.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. I have not received this message before and the program has been sucessful on other occasions.

I have done some research on the web regarding this issue and have looked at many registery cleaners but am unsure whether this is the correct route to take and which one is best to choose. I have also read several blogs concerning people's experience with registry cleaning software and not all have been good. And, if registry cleaning is the route to take, does anyone know of a good freeware? :mellow:

Download and install ccleaner.

The cleaner button will clean all temp files and what not. There is a list on the screen as to what it will clean. You can also analyze before you delete anything.

The issues button is a "lite" registry cleaner. It will ask to make a backup of the registry in your my documents folder, DO IT. After making the backup you can clean the files one by one or all at once. After doing this reboot and give you machine a test ride to see if the errors are still there and the machine is still slow.

A slow start up could be all the applications starting in the background that are unseen holding little bits of memory. To check this goto start\run type "msconfig" without the quotes. then go to startup. All items checked are starting with windows.

<Disclaimer> Be careful if you are unsure of a file leave it alone.

Google the file to find out what is is for. If you are not positive leave it alone.

M