Greetings all,

I have a quick question. When someone sends me an email that has a power point presentation, I have to save it in my documents first before opening it. If I try to open it , I get a warning that "this file has no program associated with it for performing this action. Go to the folder options in control panel and create an associated file" I go there and look and the extension and the file type are listed(PPS) I have never had to save a PPS before. I was always able to open it directly from an email. To my knowledge I have not changed any settings. I am running XP home with power point viewer 2003. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Marty,

The only way I can open pp is if I save the presentation to my documents. It does start the presentation by default. The only way it does not start is if I open a pps directly from an email. I have av with scheduled scans, firewall, ad-aware, spybot s+d, spywareblaster and even online scans. The system runs well except for this inconvenience.

I don't think I have any nasties.

thanks again Marty.

Take care,

Pat

Many people have reported this behavior. I assume this is a security feature in OE that was instituted after the install of an update. As with any attachment through email you should always save the file, check with anti-virus and then when found safe open it. Powerpoint presentations can contain malware.

Thanks all for the replies. I will check out the fix from the link on my day off. (thursday) thanks Mark. TT I thought that might be a"critical update fix". And Marty thanks always. It's been a long day at work and just want to hit the hay.

take care ,

Pat