Help! My Computer Wont Shut Down/restart/log Off!

I have Windows XP Media Center. A few days ago, I tried to restart by clicking the button on the bottom of the start menu. Instead of the pretty colorful box with the pretty buttons (haha): that gray ugly old school box popped up with the drop down menu. The screen faded out like it always does, but when I chose the restart one the box disappears and the screen brightens right back up. Nothing happened, not one thing. I tried to shut down, and log off. They did the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?! *Please talk Computer English to me :) Oh, another thing.. Is there anyway to shut down without holding the power button down? I really don't want to have to do that.

Please Helpppppppp,

Thank you so much,

Meg

I have Windows XP Media Center. A few days ago, I tried to restart by clicking the button on the bottom of the start menu. Instead of the pretty colorful box with the pretty buttons (haha): that gray ugly old school box popped up with the drop down menu. The screen faded out like it always does, but when I chose the restart one the box disappears and the screen brightens right back up. Nothing happened, not one thing. I tried to shut down, and log off. They did the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?! *Please talk Computer English to me :) Oh, another thing.. Is there anyway to shut down without holding the power button down? I really don't want to have to do that.

Please Helpppppppp,

Thank you so much,

Meg

Have you tried to shut down from the task manager? (Control-Alt-Delete)

I thought you're not supposed to shut down that way. Should I try?

And Terrorist.. I didn't see anything there that would help me.. Did I look over something? I found the shortcut to restart. I'm going to try that now. Thanks Guys!

I also posted my hijackthis log in the malwear removal forum, Do you think that when someone looks at that, it will show the problem?

Edited by DreamsAndGasoline
I thought you're not supposed to shut down that way. Should I try?

And Terrorist.. I didn't see anything there that would help me.. Did I look over something? I found the shortcut to restart. I'm going to try that now. Thanks Guys!

I also posted my hijackthis log in the malwear removal forum, Do you think that when someone looks at that, it will show the problem?

As noted above, sometimes it's the only way. If you have to, you have to. Should not be a problem.

check your task manager and under processes, if you see Adobe Updater then there's your culprit :P . That b*****d process slows my computer down to a crawl and will not let me shutdown or restart so I just hard restart it. And there's no way to close the program either. I've tried. Plus I don't see it doing anything. Adobe never seems to get updated.

Go ahead and hard shutdown or hard restart. It shouldn't hurt your system.

check your task manager and under processes, if you see Adobe Updater then there's your culprit :P . That b*****d process slows my computer down to a crawl and will not let me shutdown or restart so I just hard restart it. And there's no way to close the program either. I've tried. Plus I don't see it doing anything. Adobe never seems to get updated.

Go ahead and hard shutdown or hard restart. It shouldn't hurt your system.

To disable Adobe Updater for Adobe Reader 8.

Delete the folder Updater5.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5

Also delete AdobeUpdater.dll from:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader

If C:\ is where your OS is installed to.

For DreamsAndGasoline's shutdown problem.

This could be caused by a program staying resident in memory or your anti-virus program checking removable drives or the floppy drive on shutdown.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service will help with the first issue.

To solve the second issue you will need to uncheck the option in your anti-virus program to check the drives on shutdown. What is your anti-virus program?