Onboard Graphics, Cant See Anything

I just bought a second hand computer to give to my younger brother for school, Its an HP P4. It has on-board graphics and I cannot see anything, I've tried a PCI card which I know works and I still cant get a signal. I have reset the CMOS by taking the battery out then back in again...still nothing.

So I can't see anything, therefore I can't access the BIOS.

What should I do? :wacko::blush:

Do you get any flickering from the Hard Drive LED light? does it even flicker at all? Or does it stay on constantly?

A bad stick of RAM could be causing the same problem to your display. And won't even post or beep.

Its an HP there are no HDD LED lights, just one light the on/off button

CPU fan and PSU fan both spin

Ram looks absolutely brand new

Bought it and never tried it out, guy said its been in his basement for 6 months...Has hardly been touched there...Before that he bought it refurbished (looks almost new)

Update*

I added a new stick of ram and nothing, then I noticed jumper pins so I decided to give that a shot and when I did it caught on FIRE! Look at pic

Actual fire not just smoke

sry for dial up users for adding image directly :(

firecq5.jpg

Edited by X-Cannon

that looks like a fan connector you jumpered, oops. That would explain your fire. Even though you damaged it, it was probably already bad. Even before you shorted it, I would have placed the highest probability on the mobo as bad. I would still talk to the guy about a refund.

It all depends if you can find another motherboard. What does it have for hardware? Is the hardware newer stuff? How is the case, fans, cards?

Can you salvage anything for spare parts.

Wow! Why would you jump a motherboard fan socket? Must always read the labels next to any socket on the motherboard. Notice the "REAR_FAN1" label?

As already advised, it is probably best to get another motherboard, although you will probably looking at having to do a repair install of Windows in the best case scenario. The worse case is if Windows came with the HP PC which only provides recovery CDs/partition; Windows may refuse to repair with such a major hardware component out of the hardware profile.

If you do get a motherboard replacement ensure that it supports the same CPU socket type and RAM as the old one so you can recycle some of your components.

Wow! Why would you jump a motherboard fan socket? Must always read the labels next to any socket on the motherboard. Notice the "REAR_FAN1" label?

DOH, I didn't pay any attention to that. I think I will go with the experts on this one (You guys) replace the mobo and install XP. A friend has a HP XP CD and I have a serial number for SP2 so it should all work out.

P.S. I should pay no more then $50 for the mobo right...It's pretty old!