Why Switch From Xp To Vista?

I haven't tasted Vista yet, but from what I've gathered it doesn't seem to offer much (anything?) I can't get from XP.

Aero does look pretty but not enough to make me want it badly.

And like most OS introductions, SP1 is just around the corner.

I'd like to hear from folks with Vista experience about what they like about it (especially compared to their previous XP experience).

Thanks,

Steve

will with my experience with vista, if you have a printer that is at least a year old and the same for a scanner, you will have driver problems. there is also a problem with a feww programs. i found out that Musicmatch Jukebox will not work with Vista. you have to use the yahoo version, which is the owners of musicmatch now.

one thing is you will not be able to clean out your temp internet files like you would have with XP. you can not enter that folder.

even though you are shown as adminastrator, you are in reality a power user like in XP. vista will not let you be a full adminastrator like in XP.

now i do like the way it looks, but there is alot of things i was use to in xp and there are a few things like in XP but there is alot of differances between the 2.

one thing is you need a minimum of 1 gig of ram, but 2 gigs would be better.

there will be more members giving what they think about it, but for now i would wait til the service pack comes out before jumping into vista.

by then, hopefully the bugs will be worked out an dalot of the hardware companies will have the compatibilities worked out.

I really like Vista. I only boot to XP to get the M$ downloads anymore.

As for finding drivers..... MS has released loads of drivers in their updates. I have a 5 year old HP Flatbed scanner and HP Printer that took right off. (even in the last couple of beta releases) Never had a problem from day one. Some hardware drivers for internal component I had to search for... But it wasn't a big affair.

cherokeechief; Vista puts the temp internet files in a virtual folder. (another big thing I really like). check out these three links for Vista's virtualization.

Vista's File System Virtualization

Access-Denied-In-Vista-Hidden-Folders

Finding-Your-Lost-Downloaded-Pictures

Virtualization really helps with malicious code from questionable websites.

And looking in the right places gets you to what you want.

Me... Does Vista run better then XP..... Yes. I think it runs better (with a few software not ready for vista problems) But hell. I have overrode the compatibility wizard and installed a lot of software that works just fine and dandy, that still says not Vista ready. <_<

And I can really tell with Vista's new core structure forcing a more workload related to graphics onto the graphics card instead of the PCs processor. When I try something really graphic intensive. The PC runs smoother under load. But not saying your losing graphic quality. Using a dual boot system. Vista makes my card work a whole lot better then XP under a load. Using the same drivers and settings on the graphic card.

But Hey.... If your happy with XP that's fine. Yes, Vista's more of a fancy overloaded XP. I do say overloaded, but in a good way for structure and security. (once you figure it out. and the Vista section here at BTs has allot of really good tips, tricks, and how to's you wont find on a lot of other sites even as of yet).

And in early 2008 you'll see SP3 for XP. (so far I haven't noticed allot of difference from SP2 to SP3, well some...). But that's a future story.

Myself.... I prefer Vista over XP anymore. The looks, the feel, and the stable system that it's been for me. I wont go back. But, I still use XP for programs that are fully loaded with goodies that I don't want to spend the time reloading to Vista.

XP... Vista..... I think it's getting to be more of a personal choice anymore.