A few weeks ago I was able to set-up file sharing thanks to the advise from the people at this forums, I turned on the options "share this file on network" and "Allow network users to change my files" and it has remained like that since then, yesterday late at night I wasn't able to access the web so I decided to call my ISP first thing in the morning and they helped me sort out the problem with my modem and I have online access again today. However, I was trying to access a folder of computer "B" from computer "A" and I got a message that says "[myfoldernamehere] is not accesible. You may not have permission to use this network resources" I'm not sure if the recent connection problem with my modem caused this but now I cannot access folders from my second computer. Does anyone know how can I get filesharing to start working properly again?

Yes, I agree with 'mikex'; you should just set everything back up from the start.

1. Disable all file shares and File & Printer Sharing on PCs using the network.

2. Go into the Device Manager and locate the network adapter that is being used to connect you to your LAN. Go to 'Properties' > 'General' tab > 'Configure' > 'Power Management' tab > and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Apply settings.

3. Make sure that the "Computer Browser" service is set to start automatically (Start > Run > services.msc).

4. Reboot your PCs.

5. On each PC run the Network Setup Wizard ensuring that File & Printer Sharing is activated and that the workgroup name is exactly the same on all networked PCs.

6. Re-activate your network shares by accessing "Sharing & Security" from each drive's/folder's right-click menu. I would also recommend that the 'Share name' not include any spaces or punctuations, e.g. instead of My Documents, use MyDocuments, mydocuments or My-Documents.

7. Reboot all PCs and make sure that they are running for a good 5 minutes before you try accessing network shares. I know this sounds silly, but Windows may need some time to re-establish connections.

8. Go into My Network Places. Do you see your shares? If not, try clicking on "View Workgroup Computers" from the left-side menu and double-clicking on your workgroup name. Do you see your PCs' names listed? Double-click on these to see what they have to share.

9. If you access shares often you may consider "Adding a network place". Essentially, this just adds a shortcut to whatever share you access a lot to a location you specify. Similarly, you can also run the "Map network drive" feature from within 'My Computer' > 'Tools'.

Edited by Falcon1986