For the past few days my computer has been weird. It started with blue screens. Then today i got a warning that my CPU was overheating. Turns out my CPU is 160F/71C at IDLE! Ok, last time this happened somethign got jambed in the fan... open up the case, fan is spinning! Uh oh...

Maybe a broken sensor? Computer hasn't shut itself down yet, so no big deal, right? Well now the computer takes 15 minutes to boot up, just to hang. Itll boot up (eventually) in safe mode, but is still veyr slow. 5 minutes for programs to start up (sometimes), then sometimes they start right up. It took me about 5 hours to back up all my data because it kept hanging up...

I thought it was a hard drive problem, because in the system log im getting alot of "disk" errors. But, my CPU is still overheating, so iM unsure.

Can an overheating CPU cause these symptoms?

Another note, the task manager shows little CPU or ram use :wacko: (which points me again to the HDD)

Im trrying system restore right now before I start hardware troubleshooting. Any thoughts?

For the past few days my computer has been weird. It started with blue screens. Then today i got a warning that my CPU was overheating. Turns out my CPU is 160F/71C at IDLE! Ok, last time this happened somethign got jambed in the fan... open up the case, fan is spinning! Uh oh...

Maybe a broken sensor? Computer hasn't shut itself down yet, so no big deal, right? Well now the computer takes 15 minutes to boot up, just to hang. Itll boot up (eventually) in safe mode, but is still veyr slow. 5 minutes for programs to start up (sometimes), then sometimes they start right up. It took me about 5 hours to back up all my data because it kept hanging up...

I thought it was a hard drive problem, because in the system log im getting alot of "disk" errors. But, my CPU is still overheating, so iM unsure.

Can an overheating CPU cause these symptoms?

Another note, the task manager shows little CPU or ram use :wacko: (which points me again to the HDD)

Im trrying system restore right now before I start hardware troubleshooting. Any thoughts?

Ran sys. restore and cleaned out the heatsink. Plenty of dust. Now Im on the 15th minutes of booting up... gahhh

For a Pentium 4, that is a high temp, for an athlon XP that is well under the thermal limit. I bet at those temps a P4 could cause strange problems, like the harddrive "Disk errors". I am assuming you have blown all the dust out. Maybe you could check your thermal paste, it may need to be reapplied. Your fan may be spinning under its normal rpms.

edit added later//

did cleaning the cpu lower your temps?

In regards to the slow bootup, I think I would just reload. For one night of work, it will guarantee that you do not have a software problem.

Edited by shanenin
For a Pentium 4, that is a high temp, for an athlon XP that is well under the thermal limit. I bet at those temps a P4 could cause strange problems, like the harddrive "Disk errors". I am assuming you have blow all the dust out. Maybe you could check your thermal paste, it may need to be reapplied. Your fan may be spinning under its normal rpms.

edit added later//

did cleaning the cpu lower your temps?

Hey Shanenin.

Dont know about the temps yet. Still waiting on it to boot. Ill give it 5 more minutes then Ill reboot adn check the temps in the bios, as well as the fan speed. What speed should the heatsink fan be running at? Somewhere around 3k?

The CPU temp is now about 110F/45C with the fan spinning at 2750rpm. Still wont boot into regular mode (or, I wont give it the 30 minutes it needs) Im going to try safe mode.

Now the POS won't even boot into safe mode. Time to break out the Windows XP disc I guess...

Edited by Bubba Bob
It would not surprise me if your harddrive turns out bad, but who knows. Try reloading it, that may be all you need.

Reinstalled and runnng well so far. Once windows is updated ill run some hard drive diagnostics. If the drive is bad, the good news is it's a Seagate. Good ol 5 year warranty :thumbsup: Now were'd I put that receipt... :unsure:

EDIT:

Strange how XP went from fine to dead in 2 days time...

Edited by Bubba Bob

It pays to keep tabs on the temps during the warmer months of the year. I constantly monitor my CPU, HDD and mobo temps when the interior of my house starts hitting 85F+. I seem to also accumulate more dust in the summer due to the windows being open. If your procesoor had been hitting those high temperatures for some time it definitely could have caused data corruption. Keep and eye on that Intel. They aren't forgiving when overheated.

It pays to keep tabs on the temps during the warmer months of the year. I constantly monitor my CPU, HDD and mobo temps when the interior of my house starts hitting 85F+. I seem to also accumulate more dust in the summer due to the windows being open. If your procesoor had been hitting those high temperatures for some time it definitely could have caused data corruption. Keep and eye on that Intel. They aren't forgiving when overheated.

Good to know TT. I wouldn't have thought about CPU problems causing data corruption.