I need a solution, Quickly

I have 3 computers, two of them has same mother board, same power supply, one has 1 gig ram other has 2 gig ram, both with two 80 gig HD's, DVD-RW.

The one with 1 gig ram is for my daughter and HAS NO PROBLEM with rebooting.

The one with 2 gig ram has a Random reboot problem, New Windows XP w/SP2, (New purchase and installed, all updates)

Have run Registry Mechanic, RegCure, PC Booster and 1 click Maintenance on both computers, plus Anti-virus Programs.

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM

Third computer (just built) has the following:

This computer has had a random reboot problem since installing Windows XP /sp2

All componets are new, including Keyboard and mouse (wireless), 19" widescreen moniter and Case.

600 watt PS

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Socket AM2 BOX CPU - Windso

CPU ID Dual-Core AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor Model 280

MSI K9N4 SLI-F Socket AM2 Motherboard

CPU

• Supports 64-bit AMD® Sempron, Athlon™ 64 /Athlon 64 X2 processor (Socket AM2)

• Supports Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+, 3800+

• Supports Athlon 64 X2 CPU: 3800+, 4000+, 4200, 4400+, 4600+, 4800+, 5000+, 5200+

Chipset

• NVIDIA ® nForce 500 SLI Chipset

- HyperTransport link to the AMD Sempron, Athlon 64/Athlon 64 X2 CPU

- Supports 2 PCI Express X16 interface (built in SLI technology, both slots operate at X8

speed) / 2 PCI Express X1 connection

- Independent SATAII controllers, for four drives

- Single Fast ATA-133 IDE controller

Main Memory

• Supports dual channel DDR2 400/533/667/800, using four 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs.

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x10) Total Ram 4096 gig

2 Seagate 500GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-100

Primary Master

Secondary Master

2 Lite-On 18X DVDRW Black DL SuperAllwrite

Primary Slave

Secondary Slave

1 GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCIe Silent Version

Controller,Raid ATA,UDMA133,I/O Flex

2 Seagate HHD Capacity (GB): 250

2 Maxtor HHD Capacity (GB): 200

Checked Microsoft.com and found that there is problem with this issue.

Blue Screen info:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF8E5F91,0XB60E7308, 0X00000000

*** win323k.sys - address BF8E5F91 base at BF8000000, DataStamp 45f013f6

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

From Microsoft.com

Random "0x0000008E" Error Message on a Blue Screen in Windows XP

View products that this article applies to.

Article ID : 827663

Last Review : May 14, 2007

Revision : 2.5

On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Service pack information

Hotfix information

STATUS

SYMPTOMS

When you run Microsoft Windows XP, you may randomly receive an error message on a blue screen that references a bugcheck ID 0x0000008E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) error.

Back to the top

CAUSE

This problem may occur when a program references an incorrect memory address.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

Service pack information

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

Back to the top

Hotfix information

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel. Date Time Version Size File name

--------------------------------------------------------

28-Aug-2003 22:43 5.1.2600.1265 1,811,840 Win32k.sys

Back to the top

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

See if you can find this file and right click and choose properties

win323k.sys

I do not think win323k.sys is a valid windows file . win32k.sys is, but that sounds like a trojan trying to fool you into thinking it is a windows file. Given the errors I would guess you have a rootkit infection.

Might want to try posting a hijackthis log on the security board and link to this thread too.

Other than that I would say it is probably a bad RAM or Video card memory, or a problem with antivirus or firewall .

Sometimes it can be a RAM timing issue if you have an option in BIOS of optimal and sync, try changing it to the other option .

If you have two sticks of RAM try removing one.

Normally when I hear random reboot, the first thing I say is go to control panel => system => advanced => startup and recovery =>settings => system failure

Uncheck restart on system failure , check create log file , check send admin alert

Secondly, when I see two computers in one house having similar restart issues the first thing I want to be sure of is that there is not a rootkit or network aware worm or trojan involved. If that comes clean I suspect power issues, meaning wall voltage instability or noise over the line . I suggest individual UPS (battery backup with automatic voltage regulation ) and proper grounding and make sure never to share a circuit with a heavy load electric motor like a washing machine, air conditioner, refrigerator ...

The first place I look when I have a random reboot is Video card and RAM as Pete has pointed out. I keep a old PCI based Graphics card that Use to test this but not eveyone keep part lying around.

Update the drivers and see what that does. Switching the Ram in it's slots (this is rare but I have had it work before). Even removing on stick or the other for a test period may uncover something.

Also Powersupply, sags in power, spikes in power could all cause this but rare.

Never Rule out hardware as the cause.

Preston

hi preston

welcome havent seen a post from you

for some time

when we can boast two helpers like you and pete

on the same board

it must be good for the poster

well it is for me

as i class both of you as compt gods

take care

marty

[i wonder why this guy thinks it isnt a hardware problem

i had the same problem last year

and found my video card drivers were corrupt

and had to reinstall drivers

and it was restarting like his has been doing

that is what made me post.]

Edited by martymas
hi preston

welcome havent seen a post from you

for some time

when we can boast two helpers like you and pete

on the same board

it must be good for the poster

well it is for me

as i class both of you as compt gods

take care

marty

[i wonder why this guy thinks it isnt a hardware problem

i had the same problem last year

and found my video card drivers were corrupt

and had to reinstall drivers

and it was restarting like his has been doing

that is what made me post.]

Hey Marty,

World of Warcraft has had me in it's evil grips but I really need to get back. What with vista out and me not know anything about it I though I should go where the water flow.

Here I know the water is good.

I'm not near the Ball park with Pete. But here is an analogy He might like. If I follow the big Dog around I might just get a few of his fleas.

Preston

Edited by rhema7

First of all, 3Wolves, welcome to Besttechies!!

Secondly, now I admit my eyes glazed over when I read the techy stuff, but one thing I have learned is that dustbunnies can cause random re-boots because of overheating, soooo, have you checked for dust/critter hair?

Something else that caught my eye just because I recently ordered Ram for Son's idiot box--you mentioned you have a new installation of XP, but how old is the computer itself? Son's XP computer has a maximum of 1024 Ram (thanks to Crucial.com) If it's an older computer, perhaps you installed more ram than it's supposed to have? I learned that XP can support 2 Gigawats of Ram but processors are a different story (yupppp, I am guessing here!) And apologizing in advance because you're sure it's not a hardware thing....just doublechecking...I'm a mom, I doublecheck ;)

Liz

The first computer is three years old, but have replaced parts as needed. Problem started on this computer about two years ago. Replaced MoBo (3 times), video card (first one was a Radeon 9550, second is a Geforce 6200, AMD cpu Sempron 3200+ to a 3300+, 4 power supplies, Replaced HHD's wth 80 gig Seagate had off brand.

My Daughter's computer has same MoBo, 1 gig ram, the Radeon 9550, The AMD 3200+ cpu, original PSU, and new HHD's. This computer does not have a random reboot problem, also has Windos XP /SP2.

Third computer was just built, got all the parts together within three months and put it together 2 weeks ago, Installed Windows XP /SP2 (new CD), ran fine for about two hours and then it came the dreaded Random shut down and reboot. There is times that I can play for several hours, other times will reboot three or four time in two hours or less.

Is there any other operating systems that is windows program based?

Come to think of it, all the problems started about the time that Micrsoft came out with Windows SP2.

Solution: Throw all the computers in the garbage, induce six pack of beer, while watching girls walk by. And wonder when wife will shoot me. Wife said no more computer parts for awhile!

Come to think of it, all the problems started about the time that Micrsoft came out with Windows SP2.

A lot of people had trouble with SP2. It was recommended to run virus and malware scans and clear all temp files and cookies before installing. You could try uninstalling SP@ and then install it again

Mark

uninstall SP2-Microsoft

Well nobody has been able to come up with a solution:

Microsoft has their head up their AS?

AMD passes the buck.

OCZ said to reset memory timing 4-4-4-15 at t1 and increase voltage to 2.01, nope - not good

MSI no answer.

After spending hours on the internet and searching, and double checking my orders and packages I may have stumbled onto the solution.

My order on memory was supposed to be according to order slip:

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz

Items shipped:

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Yes... That would make a difference to how your memory reads. If your motherboard can't handle the buss speed, that would cause errors. I'm glad you may have discovered the problem. I sure would like to know if getting the right stick solves your problems. Please let us know.

Still waiting to find out what this file is

win323k.sys

But yes, it could well be a RAM problem.

While most RAM is backwards compatible it is generally recommended that you

1. Do not mix different speed RAM.

2. Do not go more than one RAM speed over. So if you are supposed to be using DDR2 4200, you could go with 5300, but going up to 6400 is not recommended.

IE, running DDR2 5300 on the 4200 bus is copacetic, but trying to run 6400 that slow is likely to become unstable.