Brian's Update

Good Morning:

I know I have not been here much lately, and this is partially due to the fact that I have been busy with life. I figured I would come back in and let you all know what has been going on here at home for the past few weeks.

TRAINING: seems to be going well, and I have been learning alot. I have passed 4 logs already and hope to start my next log soon. Now I know what a HJT expert has to go through to get a machine clean. My teachers are cool, and I have been learning some valuable lessons over there, and I hope to be able to assist my community soon.

BT BLOG: I recently updated my blog on Besttechie: I have decided to create a channel on the Wyldryde Network for my visitors. It is called #bakers_place. I was a member of Tallahassee Freenet since 1994, and had a channel on my irc server there called #champlain. While I am a proud member of such a fine school (an alumnus), #champlain just doesn't fit with the times anymore, as I have long since graduated - Therefore, #bakers_place has been created for my visitors. You can either launch and irc client and /join #bakers_place on wyldryde, or you can go to Bakers_Place via the web and you will join my channel. (sorry for the advert here ;))

LIFE: Life lately has been a myriad of craziness! I had to deal with the landlords to get some changes made to my new unit, and then of course had to argue that ADA "codes" and "standards" make some of the place harder to use. One thing that they did was to lower all my base cabinets to an estimated level of 4 ft. This means that while I can reach them, they are too low for me to be able to use the counterspace (which I dont have much of anyway) effectively because there is no space to be able to fit stuff under the cabinets. I am over 6' tall, and while I use a wheelchair, I can stand up and walk/move, and asked them to RAISE them 6" and let me tell you, they did not like that idea, but I was able to show cause because the drying racks I have wont allow for the dishes to be dried on the counter by the sink - I want a kitchen that is NORMAL, like everyone elses - This will make it as normal as they can make it, based on the setup. I also got them to remove a grab bar in the bathroom, and reinstall a right angle bar from the wall to the floor on the left side of the commode, so I don't hang on the sink - which would possibly be a safety problem should I have to grab for the sink as I fall - this bar will eliminate that because I will be able to grab the left bar and be safe - this bar was not put in when it was constructed. I also got them to remove a stubborn towelbar, and replace it with a regulation grab bar near the shower, and they said that they were going to replace my mirror with one that is a full length mirror, rather then one that has been lowered so I can only see my belly button when standing. I also got them to install a emergency call button near the shower, which was not required by code, but should have been, because they told me that 95% of accudents happen near or on the toilet, so they put the button there - but since there is AT LEAST 6-10 feet between the toilet and shower, they should have place one here as well, because you can injure yourself in a shower as well, and the button is 10 feet from the shower - dumbfools :(

Add to that the fact that my mom doesn't think anything my landlords did will make this place better, in fact she thinks that they are jerks to put it mildly, she wants me to move, which I will NOT do, but I don't want to discuss her disdain for my decision - BHA made errors because they did NOT ask me what I needed or wanted and when we asked and got stuff approved, they said they would put it in, but did NOT, which now requires them to retrofit my kitchen and add things that should have been there - I don't like some of the things they did, but it should NOT rise to the level of having to move, and Mom just don't get that this place has its faults, but there is NOTHING better :N.

FREENET: There is a movement afoot to continue Tallahassee Freenet. I have been asked to continue my work as a volunteer there - mostly assiting users with questions, problems and system related activities. I have been backing up files weekly now, as we get ready to move the server, so I assume that soon, you will see webpages restored so we can continue this great service. GO ME!! (I do all the Freenet Helpfiles).

Ive been on IRC on besttechie and other channels talking to friends as well as getting help with general questions relating to training - it is important to me, and so is my BT Family, and I hope that my efforts will payt off in the end (Iknow that they will - and with the support of my family, I don't think I will fail) :)

Thats all from here,

Brian

Glad to see the new place coming together for you. Sad to say ,whenever any part of government gets involved things, it always goes at a snail's pace. Sounds like you've had your hands full lately

Mark

• 2 months later...

Ok Guys and Gals, Thought it was time for another Update:

TRAINING: My Malware Removal Training is progressing well. I have now been promoted to GeekU Junior, and have just today completed Practice Log #1. One thing that I will tell you is that you must READ everything multiple times and sometimes the simplist things may elude you if you do NOT do this. There is also alot of information available, and I have been reading alot of it - It is a challenge, but I CAN do it, and the day I am graduated, you will know that I earned it - It will make me proud to say that I earned the title "Malware Staff" there. (and be able to PM an admin here to be placed on the HJT team :D)

Wish me Luck - I may need it - but with the right support - heck, I CAN and WILL do this, may take a while, but can do this!!

LIFE: Life is interesting, and I have been faced with a few things thrown my way. My mom has been trying to quit smoking, and she decided to NOT tell me, so when I attended 2 family get togethers for 2 straight Sundays, my mom was ON EDGE, and yelled at me, and then apologized. I still sometimes feel like she is not feeling well, and because of this, it can wear on her and me and everyone else - I wish I could help her, but I am realizing now that I must decide to do what makes me happy - this is important for my wellbeing and I have been blessed with the ability to have 2 Personal Trainers at my Health Club offer to continue to train me for another 40 sessions, starting September 5th. They are helping me to get stronger, and they also challenge me with new things. As part of this new set of 40 sessions, I have to write an essay staing what I was not able to do before we started Personal Training sessions, and what I now can do since we continue - If I can use quantifiable evidence to justify the expense of the training sessions, the club may allow us to work out at thier expense - so I will write this essay this weekend, and then present it to the trainers within 3 days. Wish me Luck!

FREENET: I have been promoted to the position of Webmaster on Tallahassee Freenet. The way it works now, we have 4 webmasters, so I am calling myself an "Assistant Webmaster" My job will be to update and contruct helpfiles for the system, and to maintain files that would be created for new users in thier accounts. I will also assist TFN Webmasters with maintaining Freenet webpages, and answeing questions and problems email as it comes in - I have been serving TFN for 12 years in a variety of capacities, from IRC Operator, to Questions and Problems Responses to Helplink Database File Construction and web design tasks - I will assist and have been assisting the system admin with tasks that he directs me to perform, and this is cool, because I can continue to give of myself to help others as my home server rebuilds ;)

Thats it from here :)

Brian