I have an inspiron 5100 2 gig processor, 512 ram that shuts down after about 20-30 minutes. This happens in safe mode under admin, both users in normal mode, and even if I do not log on to a user.

The computer is running on AC power. The laptop is not set for power down after x minutes. It has heat on the underside but I have felt a laptop get hotter, not this one though.

I am scratching my head.......

M

Even though it is not feeling hot, it may be heat related. Does the fan seem to be running at a fast or slow rate? If the fan is blowing full speed without slowing down, that would indicate that the heat sink is plugged. I would install this application. It monitors both the fan and cpu speeds. It will also control the fan speed. You can set the fan to turn on and off at set temps.

edit added later//

this program is only compatible if that laptop has a bios version A29 or higher

Edited by shanenin

if it is giving you problems in safe mode

check your hard ware drivers

hard ware is normally the problem

with shut downs in safe mode

video and sound card drivere are some times the culprits

marty

Downloaded the monitor and never was able to get it to give temp readings. I ran all the spyware apps I had, each remove 1 or 2 items the first go round. All camae clean after a reboot and anouther round of scans. It ran from 11 pm until 7 am no shutdown.....still going.....?!

Thanks guys.

M