Alright, I dont know the full history of this problem, so Ill state what I do know. PC user said he had trouble booting into windows. It would restart before loading windows(but would eventually work). I backed up the data on the harddrive at this point. A week later the computer would not boot at all. I tried to install vista, but without luck. Vista would either freeze at various times, or give mutliple blue screens. Ok then... Hardware problem right? Replaced the harddrive and ram. Still having this problem! Only things left to replace are videocard, motherboard, and DVD drive. Im thinking motherboard?

Also, ive tried to install Mandriva with no luck.

PC is only a couple years old. It has a "Winfast" brand motherboard, with some AMD CPU.

Any thoughts?

Alright, I dont know the full history of this problem, so Ill state what I do know. PC user said he had trouble booting into windows. It would restart before loading windows(but would eventually work). I backed up the data on the harddrive at this point. A week later the computer would not boot at all. I tried to install vista, but without luck. Vista would either freeze at various times, or give mutliple blue screens. Ok then... Hardware problem right? Replaced the harddrive and ram. Still having this problem! Only things left to replace are videocard, motherboard, and DVD drive. Im thinking motherboard?

PC is only a couple years old. It has a "Winfast" brand motherboard, with some AMD CPU.

Any thoughts?

Maybe try some of the linux live CDs like Ubuntu, Mandriva One and see if they detect the hardware in the computer.

Any thoughts?

Maybe try some of the linux live CDs like Ubuntu, Mandriva One and see if they detect the hardware in the computer.

I don't follow. Why "detect" the hardware?

I have a "Winfast" brand motherboard, with some AMD CPU :-)

Have you tried installing windows XP? I have had some computers where Vista would blue screen, but XP ran well.

LOL! :rolleyes:

Found out its a "nf4k8mc" with an Athlon 64 3200.

Ive tried XP also. Got to "finalizing" and blue screened. :blink:

I think I may have found teh problem. I took out one of the stick of ram (it had two 512mb kingstons) and Mandriva is installing fine... I took the stick back for a new one... installed new one... no worky worky... took it out... Mandriva is installing. THe mobo supports 2jigglywatts of ram, so im not maxing it out or anything. Seems to have a problem with this ram for some reason?

Any thoughts?

It's in the list of options just bafore installing. It would tell you of any hardware problems with the unit

Mark

A linux live CD will boot your computer completely from the CD, not from your HD. During the boot process the live CD detects your computer hardware and in this way you can determine if Linux will support your video card, sound card, NIC, printer, etc before you install linux. A live CD is a good diagnostic tool to determine if your computer is linux ready.

Good to hear you got your issue sorted out. :D It is strange that your computer wouldn't take the two sticks of RAM.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification (Hitest & Garmanma) Im a bit slow sometimes...

Anyway, now the PC is running Mandriva with one 1Gb stick of ram. It is strange how it wont take anything it the other slot. Oh well...

Edited by Bubba Bob
Ahh, thanks for the clarification (Hitest & Garmanma) Im a bit slow sometimes...

Anyway, now the PC is running Mandriva with one 1Gb stick of ram. It is strange how it wont take anything it the other slot. Oh well...

You're very welcome, Bubba Bob:-) Glad you got Mandriva up and running! :thumbsup: