The few laptops I have taken apart have had replaceable modems. I accepted a job to replace the modem on a compaq presario 2110us(2100 series). So I just spent an hour tearing it down to the motherboard, but, no modem is to be found. I am not able to see any chips even soldered with a modem chipet. I would not think the modem would be on the back side of the motherboard. I am reluctant to remove the mother board. it is not worth breaking something, especially if I am not able to get paid for this job.

the picture below shows the telephone jack, it is between the fan and pcmia cardslot.

picture071gv1.th.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated :-) For what its worth, you can get a pcmia modem card on new egg for about $30

Edited by shanenin

I've stared at it for 15 minutes and I don't see anything close, unless it's soldered underneath like you said. I think the pcmia is the better option. If it was my own, I'd say what the heck and take it apart, but a customer's... it's a crapshoot

Mark

Thanks for all the opinions. The funny thing is another shop in town told them they would charge $60 for the modem, plus labor to install it. This modem for $60 is not available. I guarantee you nobody local in my town changes out components on motherboards.

Thanks for the link. Now I can tell the customer with confidence it is not replaceable :-)

edit added later//

I suppose any modem other then a mini pci would be considered built in(not easily accessible). None the less, I am pretty certain this modem is soldered into the board. This one below I bet would be considered built in. By the way, this image is a modem from a dell inspiron 1100

53b8_1.JPG

Edited by shanenin