Hey Guys,

I need some help on how to do this. Ive searched google but still cant figure it out. Probably due to they technical terms used when explaining. haha

Anyway, Im trying to mirror one IDE drive onto another as back up. Can someone give me (lemans terms) insutructions on how this is done. Or a link to a "For Idiots" guide?

Thanks!

Fundamentally, RAID combines multiple hard disks into a single logical unit. There are two ways this can be done: in hardware and in software. Hardware combines the drives into a logical unit in dedicated hardware which then presents the drives as a single drive to the operating system. Software does this within the operating system and presents the drives as a single drive to the users of the system

That would be it. So I was a bit of with my terminology? Explains why nothing was comin up on Google... Thanks T.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Alright, Wikipedia talks about the software side of a Raid 1 setup, but doesnt really say much about how its done. :wacko:

Now that I know what to look for hopefulyl google will come up with something this time.

EDIT: Got it :http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=830&page=5 /EDIT

Is this something XP pro w/ a a dual CPU xeon machine can handle or would it be better to get a raid controller?

Has anyone done this before?

Edited by Bubba Bob

Alright, I made both drives dynamic, but "Add Mirror" is still grayed out in the disk manager. I did some reading a few sites mentioned disk mirroring cant be done in anything but Windows Server... Argh... Any thoughts on how this can be done?

I just asked my friend who is obsessed with raid arrays. He currently has about 9 320gb drives in his array. Anyways, he said it is not supported in XP pro.

You may want to look into doing it with hardware. Does your motherboard have a raid controller, do you have sata drives?

by the way I just asked my friend what he has for drives in his server(almost all tv shows)

8 320GBs in Raid 5, 2 80GBs in Raid 1, 2 500GBs in Raid 1 with 1 320GB

hotspare and my temp drive which is a 250GB....

I know he just bought a 750gb ide drive, I not sure where he will be using that.

Edited by shanenin

Those links talk about WinXP, mirroring and RAID.

To resolve this problem, if you require RAID and you are using a computer that is running Windows XP Professional, use a hardware-based RAID solution. There is no way to enable the RAID software in Windows XP Professional.