Installation And Grub?

So I'm giving up on the other machine for now, but I'm still determined to give it a shot. I took my wife's spare ntfs- formatted empty drive and put it in my computer. My first idea was to hook it up by itself as master, load ubuntu, reset it as slave, and use my BIOS to decide which drive to boot to. After some reading I know this is not the thing to do, but the more I read the more confused I get. Exactly how should I go about doing this? I don't care which OS is default. Does my XP drive have to remain connected while installing Ubuntu, for it to be detected? I really don't want to risk losing anything. The version I have is 6.06.1 LTS

Mark

Hi Mark

I have installed Ubuntu onto a second hard drive and the installation went

smooth as silk. When you start the install of Ubuntu ( or any Linux OS)

part of the procedure is the program checking for drives and space on these

drives. It will show both HD's -- The master ( C: ) will be shown as HD 0

and the slave drive will be HD 1. The install should suggest partitions

on the drive and then go thru the install.

It will also install the Grub loader and that will give you the choice on Boot Up

of which OS you want to boot to.

Just remember that if you ever remove the Linux OS from your computer,

you have to go and repair the Master Boot Record on the C: because it will

be looking for the grub loader and that goes away with the Linux OS.

Not a big deal to fix the MBR -- I've done this a few times and it goes easily

and quickly using the XP install disc and choosing Repair.

jim

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tonight if I get a chance. We had to take my daughter to the hospital, again. Looks like my grandson wants out no matter what the doctor has to say about it. Just eating a quick lunch and back to the hospital

Mark

Thanks guys. I'm using it as we speak. I'll definitly be postiong back with questions.. First thing is to adjust the screen resolution so I can see the damn thing. Hopfully I can get my trackball to work properly. I don't know if I should have downloaded all of the pdates but I just did. Hope they aren't as buggy as MS have been recently

Mark