I have not been successfully able to sync my time on any of my windows machines a couple of weeks. This includes many client machines also. I get this error "An error occurred while synchronizing with time.windows.com" . This also happens if I choose "time.nist.gov". It is more of an annoyance, but I am baffeled to why it is happening. I do have a router, but I get the same problem when I connect my laptop directly into the cable modem. I will see what google turns up.

since bypassing the router does not help, and all machines behave this way, I am leaning towards charter, my isp, being the problem.

I do have some errors in my event log that said the time source was not available. I find it unlikely the windows.time.com along with time.nist.gov have been down for several weeks.

Edited by shanenin

I noticed it last week on a client's computer. I just tried mine. I have even change the time server. It could be my firewall blocks it. I usually pay no attention because my time always stays dead on. The only thing I haven't checked since the DST update is my Bios time.

Yes, this happens to me too sometimes when I try to manually synchronize.

From a Neowin Forums thread, I found that using another time server works. They suggested the following:

time-a.nist.gov (Maryland)

time-b.nist.gov (Maryland)

time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov (Colorado)

time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov (Colorado)

time-nw.nist.gov (Washington)

utcnist.colorado.edu (Colorado)

I tried the UCLA one and it worked perfectly: tick.ucla.edu

Just copy/paste the server link into the "Server" field and click "Update Now" (Windows Date & Time Properties). It should be retained in the list the next time you go to manually synchronize.

I added nist1-ny.WiTime.net and rebooted. The time syncronized with no problem during the reboot.

I got rid of the original two time servers and added the following manually to the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers

Create the new string values.

ntp.nasa.gov

time-a.nist.gov

time-b.nist.gov

nist1-ny.WiTime.net

time.twc.weather.com

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Thanks, adding a different server works, but I am still curious to why the others fail, in particular, time.windows.com.

time.windows.com is broken. Really broken. It's over 100 seconds off. The Windows NTP client should refuse to synchronize with it.

time.nist.gov just takes forever to respond. It's probably overloaded.

Everyone should be using the pool. The pool is your friend.

Thanks, adding a different server works, but I am still curious to why the others fail, in particular, time.windows.com.

time.windows.com is broken. Really broken. It's over 100 seconds off. The Windows NTP client should refuse to synchronize with it.

time.nist.gov just takes forever to respond. It's probably overloaded.

Everyone should be using the pool. The pool is your friend.

You would think it would be an easy fix.

You would think it would be an easy fix.

*shrug* No one seems to know what's happening with time.windows.com. The service is hosted by Akamai; it's possible that Microsoft can't fix it.