Kurt Vonnegut Dies At 84

Last night an American mastermind of literature, Kurt Vonnegut Jr. died at the age of 84. The NY Times is reporting that his death occured as a result of a brain injury he suffered from due to a fall a few weeks ago. He will be missed.

For those that don't know who Vonnegut is, head over to a library and pick up anyone of his books. I'm willing to bet you'd be hooked after the first one. He often took very political stances in his books, and illustrated his opinions through dark humor and narcissism. Anyone who has read Slaughter House Five, Cat's Cradle, or Mother Night (those are just some of his biggest works) knows what I'm saying.

I've read 7 of his 14 works, and I've yet to find one that I don't like. Something that I've wanted to do for a very long time was attend one of his speeches. I suppose now that won't happen.

More info on the New York Times

"Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead."

-Vonnegut.

So it goes.

He will be missed

I read all of those books you listed many years ago and along with Isaac Asimov they hooked me on Sci Fi. My collection of sci fi and fantasy now numbers over 500 books of which I have read all but about 10

Last night an American mastermind of literature, Kurt Vonnegut Jr. died at the age of 84. The NY Times is reporting that his death occured as a result of a brain injury he suffered from due to a fall a few weeks ago. He will be missed.

For those that don't know who Vonnegut is, head over to a library and pick up anyone of his books. I'm willing to bet you'd be hooked after the first one. He often took very political stances in his books, and illustrated his opinions through dark humor and narcissism. Anyone who has read Slaughter House Five, Cat's Cradle, or Mother Night (those are just some of his biggest works) knows what I'm saying.

I've read 7 of his 14 works, and I've yet to find one that I don't like. Something that I've wanted to do for a very long time was attend one of his speeches. I suppose now that won't happen.

More info on the New York Times

"Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead."

-Vonnegut.

So it goes.

Don't forget Welcome to the Monkey House

One of my favorites. Read it 30+ years ago and still think about some of the characters. Highly recommended.