My computer is continually getting Application Error pop up messages. The error reads:

"The instruction at "0x000000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate program."

Any solution for this problem?

I'll greatly appreciate if someone can help me up with this problem.

My computer is continually getting Application Error pop up messages. The error reads:

"The instruction at "0x000000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate program."

Any solution for this problem?

I'll greatly appreciate if someone can help me up with this problem.

Looks like you have a failing memory chip. Try going to Memtest86.com and downloading their tester, run it over night and see if you get errors.

It's probably a bug. Zero is a standard representation of an invalid address; Windows traps attempts to reference it to catch errors. It's possible that there's an underlying hardware problem, but it's at least equally likely that the process simply jumped without looking, so to speak.

Edited by jcl
It's probably a bug. Zero is a standard representation of an invalid address; Windows traps attempts to reference it to catch errors. It's possible that there's an underlying hardware problem, but it's at least equally likely that the process simply jumped without looking, so to speak.

Then what should I do to overcome this problem?

Okay, I was going to ask if it happened only with a specific program; but you say it occurs every time you start your computer. Is that correct?

Next time, starting with the computer off, turn it on and after the POST beep start tapping F8 once a second until you get a start options menu and choose "safe mode"

Login to safe mode with your usual account and see if you get the error.

Generally this error is caused by a defective device driver or virtual anything driver which is part of something like an antivirus (or a virus) .

Can you remember anything you installed or updated just before the problem started?

If it only happened in Internet Explorer I would say it was a problem with spyware affecting the Layered Service Provider (LSP ) files; but you say it occurs on startup.

Although if you have dialup and you are using an internet accellerator software it could be the cause . (RelevantKnowledge malware is a known cause of this error do you have it installed?So can Alcanshorty trojan)

If it were a specific program then either an update or patch or uninstall/ reinstall is generally the solution.

So please clarify if you can . If you suspect malware, post in the malware board.

Okay, I was going to ask if it happened only with a specific program; but you say it occurs every time you start your computer. Is that correct?

Next time, starting with the computer off, turn it on and after the POST beep start tapping F8 once a second until you get a start options menu and choose "safe mode"

Login to safe mode with your usual account and see if you get the error.

Generally this error is caused by a defective device driver or virtual anything driver which is part of something like an antivirus (or a virus) .

Can you remember anything you installed or updated just before the problem started?

If it only happened in Internet Explorer I would say it was a problem with spyware affecting the Layered Service Provider (LSP ) files; but you say it occurs on startup.

Although if you have dialup and you are using an internet accellerator software it could be the cause . (RelevantKnowledge malware is a known cause of this error do you have it installed?So can Alcanshorty trojan)

If it were a specific program then either an update or patch or uninstall/ reinstall is generally the solution.

So please clarify if you can . If you suspect malware, post in the malware board.

It was a rundll32.exe application error. It occurs everytime on startup. I'm sorry but I can't remember anything I've installed or updated just before the problem stated. What do you mean by malware board? Can you please show me the way to do the malware board?

Thanks..^^

Have to tried a system restore? If you have a recent conflict causing it, rolling back the registry can help.

Unfortunately, I faced this problem quite some time already. I don't have the restore point to roll back this problem. Any other ways to solve it?

Personally, I'd try a "Repair Install" at this point from your installation CD.

That should get you booted up with minimal (zero I hope) loss.

----

An error that reports "0x00000000:0x00000000" usually means the application references an undefined (NULL) location, and typically is an application(programming) error.

----

Otherwise, an 0x0:0x0 error is an unanticipated error that's tough to track down.

Most applications (including operating systems) will report an error code before resorting to 0x0.

Edited by CurlingSteve
You could use msconfig to disable all startup programs. If that solves the error with the next reboot, you could then enable one program at a time to see which one is causing the error.

I tried it. But it doesn't work for me. I disabled all the programs but the the memory reference error still occur. Shall I disable all the service too? What should I do now?

Edited by shiro
You could use msconfig to disable all startup programs. If that solves the error with the next reboot, you could then enable one program at a time to see which one is causing the error.

I tried it. But it doesn't work for me. I disabled all the programs but the the memory reference error still occur. Shall I disable all the service too? What should I do now?

"What steps should I attempt to possibly avoid reinstalling Microsoft® Windows® XP?" = http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1062461

• 2 weeks later...

"What steps should I attempt to possibly avoid reinstalling Microsoft® Windows® XP?" = http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1062461

The link above is about system restore to me. May I know what're the steps should I attempt to possibly avoid reinstalling Microsoft® Windows® XP?

You say it is a rundll32.exe error.

What dll does it reference?

If you cannot remember or it does not show go to control panel / admin tools/ event viewer

Try to locate it , look for things with a red X

If you can give the dll we can figure out what it is.

It is most likely either a device driver, your antivirus , or malware (a trojan or spyware ).