Huge, Annoying Computer Problem.

Here's the situation, I had a virus that would crash my computer about every 10 to 20 minutes. I obviously got tired of this, so I decided to do another complete system reboot. The first time through, I had no problems, everythung worked, everything was hooked up right, and bammo I'm on the internet in under a day. But THIS time, everything went fine up until the time I had to install my web browser. So, I put the disc in, I waited for it to load up, I agree to every little Terms of Condition thing, or whatever, and after that was a little check too see if I had everything needed to connect to the internet. It's all green up until it gets to the Network Adapter. Apparently it couldn't detect one. So, I did some stuff that I can't quite remember at the moment and whaddyaknow, it detected a Network Adapter, but THIS time, it said it was corrupt. So, I went out and bought a new one of the exact same type, still said it was corrupt. And there's the problem. Now when you try to help me out, don't use long computer terms. I'm not exactly the computer guy, so please, I would seriously appreciate it, and I mean that, I will bow down and praise your existence.

Long, pointless story short: My computer says my new, exact same type of Network Adapter is corrupt, and I need to get it...Un-corrupt I guess.

what adapter a usb or a ethernet card

if you bought anew adapter

shouldnt you have an install cd

what does it mean a corrupt adapter

how can it be corrupt if it is new

it must be the software you are using

have you got rid of the virus

did you reinstall or

did you use sys restore

if you restored than the virus is still there

if you get any virus you must turn restore off

then scan and then turn restore on

i suggest you go to safe mode and rescan for virus

to make sure it is gone

marty

I agree with bubba; this sounds like a problem caused by DSL software like the SBC Yahoo internet browser and their mangled antivirus and antispyware bundle . I have seen it cause this sort of problem and worse.

Try uninstalling it and see if you can install your network adapter.

Do you have a router? If not you really would benefit from having one if you have broadband in that it will let you set up your connection without the ISPs software and it will have NAT to act as a firewall.

Here's the situation, I had a virus that would crash my computer about every 10 to 20 minutes. I obviously got tired of this, so I decided to do another complete system reboot. The first time through, I had no problems, everythung worked, everything was hooked up right, and bammo I'm on the internet in under a day. But THIS time, everything went fine up until the time I had to install my web browser. So, I put the disc in, I waited for it to load up, I agree to every little Terms of Condition thing, or whatever, and after that was a little check too see if I had everything needed to connect to the internet. It's all green up until it gets to the Network Adapter. Apparently it couldn't detect one. So, I did some stuff that I can't quite remember at the moment and whaddyaknow, it detected a Network Adapter, but THIS time, it said it was corrupt. So, I went out and bought a new one of the exact same type, still said it was corrupt. And there's the problem. Now when you try to help me out, don't use long computer terms. I'm not exactly the computer guy, so please, I would seriously appreciate it, and I mean that, I will bow down and praise your existence.

Long, pointless story short: My computer says my new, exact same type of Network Adapter is corrupt, and I need to get it...Un-corrupt I guess.

So I'm a little unclear on whether you got rid of the virus and if you reformatted? Also if the advice already given helps then great but if you still have problems, did you try uninstalling the network adapter in device manager and rebooting so Windows can find it again and reinstall? When you say corruption I believe the problem was software not the hardware. Please keep us updated on how it goes when it is fixed. We always like to know what the fix round up being. It helps many people in the long run.

Ugh, sorry about the late response. Anyways, Bubba, the disc was upplied by the ISP, and I think I have broadband. Pete C, I do have a router, but it's only used to set up a network between me and my brothers computer, my computer being the access point and my brothers being the one who connect to my access point (Sorry if that made no sense whatsoever.) Tootsdog9, yes, the virus is totally gone, and I have reformatted, and I did try uninstalling the network adapter and reinstalling it, yet nothing happened. Help is still appreciated.

I'm sorry, but I still have a little trouble understanding exactly the whole problem. You said you bought another network adapter. Do you still have the box? Could you please give us the brand and the info off of it? Also, try to install it once more and write down the error report word for word, exactley as it on the screen

Mark

Perhaps you need to be sure your Disk is clean before installing. Might be a problem with the disk you are installing and it gets to a point that is dirty when it is detecting the Network card. Have you asked the ISP if they had an answer? Might try there web site for an updated version of the software.

Enter the Routers setup and enter the PPPOE username and password for your DSL and connect the DSL modem to the WAN port on the router and then connect each computer to a LAN port on the router.

Configure computers to obtain IP automatically from router , run internet connection wizard in IE Tools/ internet options / conections or in control panel and choose "I connect through my LAN to an always on connection".

Your problem is the Crappy software and such that your ISP provided and your choice to use internet connection sharing and have your computer act not only as a computer but as a router too.

Uninstall the Crappy software in its entirety and turn off the ICS