Partitioning Strategies Question

I'm installing a 100 gig ATA hard drive on my daughter's computer. They're using XP. All they do is email, websurf, store pictures, and play Sims. It will never be a dual-boot. My question is why partition the drive? If the drive goes bad, it will damage both partitions anyways, Won't it?

Mark

I like to have two partitions because one when I reformat I dont lose all my data which is one the second drive. Also by using a second partition and using that partition to download things to, your main C partition does not become as fragmented and therefore you can read data from that partition slightly faster.

Im not sure exactly about that second one. If anybody else is around to prove me wrong then please go ahead.

Edited by Sir_Siddy

OK, another simple question. I have her important stuff backed up to CD except for her Sims backup files. That's 3 friggin Gigs. The computer has a 2nd hard drive, 13 gig. It's empty and XP recognizes the drive. How do I put My Documents on that drive? When I right click and select "send to", I'm not offered that option. I also might have to transfer everything related to Simms on that drive because I can't find the product keys to reinstall those games. The file and transfer wizard doesn't seem to be the ticket

Mark

does the mbr

operate the same way in partitioning.for your data ect

as partitioning with another sys in a dual boot?

it is some thing i always need help with

an example

i dual booted

when i first installed ubuntu

i mabe a mistake of not noting the sys password

so i had to go to

disk management and delete those partitions

and as a result i couldnt get back into window

so i had to reset the mbr

sent in by some from some one on the board

is there a way round this?

does the sys operate like this when you

use the partition for local content/

im not thaty good at partitioning

is there tutor on partitioning your drive

in the stickies ?

like mark

i have troubles with partitioning

i think mark and i arnt the only ones

many do not know how to do it properly

good luck mark

and i will be watching this thread closely

marty

garmanma.....

Moving My Documents Folder:

The ‘My Documents’ folder invariably ends up as the default repository of files for most Windows applications. Over a period of time, this folder starts bloating, and this; to a certain extend results in performance degradation. It might be a good idea to move the target location of the ‘My Documents’ folder to some other partition on the hard drive, or to a different drive.

To do so, right click on ‘My Documents’, and on the ‘Target’ tab, click on ‘Move’. In the subsequent dialog box, browse to the drive where you want to move the folder. Then click ‘Make New Folder’ to create a new folder, and name it appropriately. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Yes’.

OK, another simple question. I have her important stuff backed up to CD except for her Sims backup files. That's 3 friggin Gigs. The computer has a 2nd hard drive, 13 gig. It's empty and XP recognizes the drive. How do I put My Documents on that drive? When I right click and select "send to", I'm not offered that option. I also might have to transfer everything related to Simms on that drive because I can't find the product keys to reinstall those games. The file and transfer wizard doesn't seem to be the ticket

Mark

If you goto my computer, the second hardrive should be there. Just goto c:\documents and settings\username, then just copy the "my documents" folder, then paste the folder to your other harddrive.

As to copying the sims game, you won't be able to do that. The problem is the sims is not just installed to the programs directory, but also is dependnet on the registy settings the installer made. I suppose in theory, you could tranfere all of the registry setting pertaining to the game, but that is not practical, and would take many hours(days) of research.

If the system still boots, run a program like belarc advisor, it may have the sims key saved for you.

I have never used this program, so I don't know if it is ridden with spyware, but it listed sims as a program it recovered the key for you

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/24/d...eyfinder-thing/

Edited by shanenin

The key generator at my digital life found 4 of them. My daughter found 3. I got one to go. I tried about 4 different ones. I'll try Belarc in a while. At least I got her to start cleaning up some :thumbsup:

Mark

The computer will do it automatically. JSKY had a good suggestion, make sure you link your "my documents" directoery to the new partition.

Got that done. Getting ready to load XP as we speak. I know I'm answering 1/2 my questions. It's just you read so many horror stories, I need to be reassured that I can't screw it up :)

I'm leaving the 2nd HD disconnected until everything is in place. Hope that's OK

Mark

Well it looks like it's going to have to wait awhile. I went to plug the new IDE cable to the motherboard and discovered the heatsink retention base broke with the heatsink flopping on the board. I'm surprised it didn't fry the CPU. That was a waste of a beautiful day :angry:

Mark

One more thought on partitioning that new drive.

If everything they run fits in half (50GB), I'd partition it into 2 50GB hunks.

I'd use the second hunk to store backups (I prefer Ghost image backups).

Then if they crash the first partition, the second is available for restoration (after booting a recovery CD).

The second (image storage) partition can (I think) easily be hidden from "everyday use".

My Dell XPS has 3 partitions (Diagnostics, Main, and Recovery) with only the Main visible during normal operation.