the article says the poster had to up grade his hardware

that puts me out

and after reading that view

i feel vista is for the affluent

how ever read and make up you own mind

marty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6407419.stm

Edited by martymas

I would say his first problem was not creating a dual boot setup bewteen XP and Vista plus not doing further research regarding the hardware issues which have been posted on the web for some time now.

My 5 year old PC will run Vista as is with the hardware in it. This computer cost me about $700 to build back then. To allow it to run Vista even better I would need to upgrade the memory ($50) and video card ($60).

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Spelling

I hate to sound cynical, but....

I still remember when I dropped win 98 and upgraded to XP.

I upgraded to XP right off the bat when it was first released. One of the first 20 or so to report what it was like on TTV. And all the hype going on at TTV over how bad XP was. (even some of you old TTVers had your negative says about XP). Come on...Think back to them days.

And I also remember everyone complaining how they would have to upgrade their video card so XP would run the fancy desktop. And everyone complained how you had to up their ram from 64 or 128-bit to 512-bit of ram to get XP to run stable...... "O"... and lets not forget that nobody could find drivers that would work on their systems.. And all the "I'm never going to install XP for this or that reason". incompatible drivers....software issues.....compatibility issues....my old program won't work issues....have to buy this issues...I have to upgrade that issues.... Hahaha..Service packs to fix things already.. Who in their right mind would give up win 98 or 2000 or ME. for something as unstable as XP......

I read many different Blogs and message boards about Vista, And I just have to laugh. Seems history does repeat itself.

Now... Will somebody volunteer to save all these comments going around about Vista.... So in two years when M$ releases Vienna. And all the hype about how bad it is...all the memory I have to buy....no drivers....my old programs won't work....need bigger this....need bigger that.... The "I'm never going to switch from Vista to Vienna". :wacko: They could repost everything bad said about Vista..... I kinda wished I would have done that now, for when XP was released.

But I guess what they say is correct. We are never truly happy unless we have something to Bitch....Er, I mean complain about. :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Edited by JSKY
add

of course that article was written for the

all the linux users.

i agree with JS and sethook

i can remember when at TTV AND G4 when it started

i defended xp

as tho life depended on it

and even to day it is still one of the best sys

around

my god at g4

many posters considered a crime to use any thing microsoft

and i argued until i was blue in the face

some how i never ran into trouble like a lot of xp users did

because i stuck to the rules

like pete chappy and goliath taught me

those days the mozilla lot were trying to promote

firefox

and personally i feel it is overrated

i have slim browser

which is exactly the same as firefox but very much faster

many rubbished slimbrowser

saying it was a clone a IE

[those were the mozilla users

which is utter b---t

so we need to find what is at our level

and stay there

i intend to get vista

but ile wait until the price goes down

and read the board so i can gauge

how you guys

manage it

at the moment

linux is flooding the market with

some of these small sys"s

example

lycoris kubuntu ,ubuntu

trying to counteract vista comming on stream

i have all those linux disks

but im dissapointed with the way they have abandoned

quality for quantity

ive found

lots of flaws

and for a new linux user

im disappointed

marty

That's right Marty... allot of people had problems with installing XP.... Well, maybe not so much XP as SP2. Even after 5 years they are still some complaining about SP2 and installing....

Seems I recall this last summer, some of our good members here installing SP2 for their first time after having XP installed for a couple of years....

And TT.....Yes, I also liked 98SE. And kept it as a back-up for a couple of years until finally giving it up. Just like I will with XP. I'll keep XP for those things that might never work with Vista. (or that vista will no longer let you do). At least until a work-around is found. Like DRM for one.

And another myth I hear about Vista is that OpenGL is no longer supported. (maybe it's not, But). I am running several screensavers that require OpenGL to run. And they work great for me. (in OpenGL mode, I don't think there is a setting for DirectX). In some ways they look better and seem quicker.

I'm gonna treat Vista the same way I treated XP. Not till I build a new machine.

I loved XP when I switched. The reason why I loved it cause I switched from 98se on a machine with 800MHz PIII with 512MB of PC133 RAM and a GeForce2 MX400 to XP SP2 on a machine with Athlon XP 3000+ with 512MB of PC3200 (Later upgraded to 1GB) and a GeForce2 MX400 (started with same card, later upgraded to FX5700 Ultra, then again to a 6600GT)................in 2005. Oh I waited a LONG time to upgrade but then again I had no money then. I have a job and a car that I'm parting out to get me money now so I can upgrade. I say within 6 months to a year, I'll be running on an AM2 platform system with Vista on it (I may bite the bullet and go Conroe as much as I don't like Intel but I love nVidia and the nForce 6 series chipset is for Intel only).

My current rig is still on XP. It's an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB of PC3200 Corsair XMS (my old rig was using cheapo PQI Power) and twin GeForce 7600GT's in SLI and I'm using a SATA300 Hard drive so I have 0 issues with XP.

*Plus if I wait to go to Vista until I build a new rig, I can buy the OEM version which is FAR cheaper than the full retail Version. I refuse to buy upgrade versions. Home Premium is more than likely the version I'll get and in OEM form, it's only $120 on newegg.com versus the $240 it is in full retail form.

** I stand corrected, there is an nForce 6 series for AMD now for the newest platform, Socket F (1207 FX). I'm aimin to build that set-up instead.

Edited by Honda_Boy

when i installed xp

i was so green i didnt know the statistics

at the time i had a 4.8 hdd

500 cpu and 64meg of ram

many at techtv

said i was going to get into into trouble with such a small sys

but being the noitall

i went ahead and installed xp pro

in the bargain it was an illegal disk

and for god sake it worked ok

sure it was slow