Dr. Pepper Promo Stunt Forces Historic Boston Site To Close

Found the link below regarding this story: I cannot believe that a company would BURY a gold coin somewhere in a historic cemetary.

Less than a month after highways and bridges were shut down during a bomb scare touched off by an advertising stunt, a new marketing scheme has led angry city officials to shut down a historic site.

A clue in a Dr Pepper promotion suggested a coin that might be worth as much as $1 million was buried in the 347-year-old Granary Burying Ground, the final resting place of John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and other historic figures.

LINK

I can understand promotions where people can win things like Money, IPODS, computers, vehicles, and the like, but to bury a coin in a historic site, and then have treasure hunters try to find it by possibly disturbing a historic site is rediculous. Luckily, the company that makes Dr. Pepper agreed to run a drawing for the money rather then to have a historical landmark ravaged.

My question: what the heck is wrong with these marketing executives? Can't they see that some of these promotions can be good, but that the way that they proceed could create havoc or anger people? I took advertising and marketing and Business Administration and Small Business Management classes, and if I was the dude in charge of these stunts, I would have the decency to leave these sites alone, and I would probably admionish the fools that think up these crazy promos - leave historic sites alone, do your marketing in a manner that DOES NOT make city officials mad......

Sheeesh......My .02......what do you all think??

Brian

I'd need more information before passing judgement. "A clue ... suggested?" Was it poorly worded? Was it clear what it meant? Could it be misinterpreted? Did they, in fact, bury a coin there? Doesn't seem clear whether or not they were suggesting anyone go dig up a cemetary, or if some idiots thought that's what they were suggesting. Remember some cola promotion where you saved points and, by golly!, you COULD save enough to get a fighter jet! Normal people didn't expect to get a fighter jet, but at least one idiot saved up enough and sued to recieve his fighter jet.

Never underestimate the potential stupidity of the human race. If you tried not to make ANY statement that could POSSIBLY be misinterpreted -- You'd never be able to speak.

Jdoors:

How RIGHT you are - people are so gullable these days that they would do anything to make a buck or to win something. The article says that they will give a people that entered this contest a chance to win the value of this coin, which is $10,000 - Manino says that they will not prosecute these people if they inform City Hall of there intentions first I am all for marketing and ad campaigns, but believe that they should not be set up as to cause a panic in a major city!!