Hello ....

I'm thinking about upgrading my Intel board from a 1.4 G to a 2.6 G CPU the max the mobo can handle.

I was looking at the intel site on my board and it stated that the bios has to be upgraded to a certain level and something with the chip set as well.

My sig has all my machine info .... here is a link to the page with the specs and info on the bios. I did download the upgrade file.

This is the link to the download page and the file for the chip set .... #7 ....

I know I will have to update the bios, but do I need the chip set file? What other preparations will I need to do to upgrade to the 2.6 CPU?

Thank you for your time :ph34r:

Note .... I'm finding it difficult to find a 400Mhz bus speed at a good price .... I can't use an 800 bus speed ... correct?

Edited by spirittoo

You are going to have a tough time finding that proc. I bet lots of people have the same idea as you. I did a quick scan of ebay with the only two available going for more then $100. I think this is what you need

Pentium 4 2.6 northwood core(not hyper-threaded) FSB 400mhz model: RK80532PC064512 .

You may want to look into upgrading your board and proc together. You can get a nice board and proc brand new for under $100 at newegg.

Edited by shanenin

Yeah, I see what you mean .... man ... why did I have to have a 400 instead of an 800 .... they are $50 cheaper! :blink:

Is it the same with all the 400 bus speed being more expensive or just the 2.6Ghz? :unsure:

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Update. I did some shopping around and the best price I could find was $43 TTD for a 2.0GHz 400 .... can you tell me it that would be a noticeable difference in the CPU power and speed?

Thank you for your time. :mellow:

Edited by spirittoo

I think it is just basic supply and demand. The proc you need is th fastest that is available for your board, so that makes them is high demand. The 2.6 hyperthreaded fsb 800 model is one of the slowest in its class, so people are selling them and trading up.