Ie7 Not Listed In Critical Updates

I have never had this happen before. I was updating an XP service pack 2 computer, this was after doing a generic clean install. According to microsoft update, I was fully updated, their were not any critical updates available. I have rebooted and still am running IE6. I checked Microsoft updates again but it said I was fully updated, no critical updates available. I am now in the process of manually installing IE7. Do any of you guys have an idea to why microsoft update was not updating me to IE7 as a critically needed update?

Well, when IE7 was first offered through automatic updates, I declined it and checked the box,

"do not offer this update ever again"

Perhaps the user checked this box before XP was reinstalled and MS remembered the user declining the IE7 offer? Does it work like that? (I have no idea, just a guess :) )

Liz

Maybe they heard the many screams of those who had problems. :rolleyes:

I know you are probably kidding, but I kind of thought that might be true. I checked to see if it was listed in optional updates, but it was not. It was nowhere to be found using microsoft updates.

Maybe they heard the many screams of those who had problems. :rolleyes:

I know you are probably kidding, but I kind of thought that might be true. I checked to see if it was listed in optional updates, but it was not. It was nowhere to be found using microsoft updates.

I'll let you know tomorrow when I do my updates. I check the box not to show it again and the last time the update site warned that I did check not to show. If it's still offered I will find it.

it has been listed under optional updates for a few days now. I am pretty sure it was not listed under optional or critical for about 2 days. I wonder if they will switch it back to critical after working out more bugs.

Well after a couple of days using IE7 on my friends computer I can positively state they should keep it on the options list. What a pain in the butt. You could never get me to switch from IE6 let alone Opera.

Agreed. IE7 is a royal pain in the butt. When I started using it it somehow set my security level so high I couldn't even download updates from windows update. I use FF, Opera, or SeaMonkey on my Windows boxes.